We saw Bernini's sculpture of Medusa today. She was fascinated and wanted to know the entire story in minute detail. In the end, she had compassion for Medusa, and wasn't able to relate to the part of the story that portrays her as a monster. "It wasn't her fault that she loved someone. Minerva was mean to do that to her." The sculpture is heartbreaking, it shows Medusa at the moment of transformation from golden-locked mortal to snake-headed gorgon. Her grief is palpable.
Sweetpea's was too. For an hour or two afterward, although we were having an enjoyable day, she couldn't shake her own grief at the thought of someone elses' pain, even if just from a story. The fact that Medusa was killed by Perseus and then used to help him win battles just amplified her sense of injustice.
Her innate thoughtfulness and compassion astounds and occasionally baffles me, since I don't remember possessing those qualities as a child. I love that about her.
Bust of Medusa by Bernini


What a thoughtful girl lovely Sweetpea is. Some of those ancient stories are so very brutal, I would have to agree with her. Ella and I were just talking just last night about how Theseus left Ariadne on an island after she helped him escape the minotaur.
ReplyDeleteIt's why I love her too. xoxo
ReplyDeleteA serious girl, I can relate, but that bust would send anyone into the land of despair. Such an expression of hopelessness.
ReplyDeleteI was like that when I was little. In fact, I think I've been "in my thirties" since preschool. Now that I'm turning 40, how do I phrase that?
ReplyDeleteAnyway - it's what people refer to when they talk about being an "old soul." And it's kind of hard on a soul. There is a lot of sad in the world. So much is unfair. So many deserve better.
She's lucky to have such a wonderful Mom to lean on when it really hurts (I did too!)
Thoughtful, but also fashionable. What an outfit! (Am I shallow that this was what I noticed most in your post?)
ReplyDeleteI adored her outfit as well! I like meditating on my kids' deeper natures and it seems that Sweetpea's is absolutely lovely. I'm not surprised, given her mother.
ReplyDeleteLove this post. Love sweetpea's outfit--I wish I could be that fashionable. She is such an empathizer--I am like that too.
ReplyDeleteI know it's so shallow..but HER HAIR!!! IS GORGEOUS!!!!
ReplyDelete