Paper crane made and photographed for 1000 Cranes for Japan
I, like so many others, have been watching the footage from Japan this past week with a lump in my throat. It's incomprehensible, while watching aerial video of a massive wall of water moving across the landscape, to even wrap our heads around the scale of such a disaster. And then the stories start to offer the human perspective - the grief of family and friends lost, the heroes, the survivors.
And as always I wonder what I can do, other than offer awkwardly worded prayers, drop-in-the-bucket donations to worthy organizations, and sending good wishes along with thousands of others.
I've been slowly getting a website of my photography together over the past few months. It's not ready yet and I was going to host a giveaway once the site was ready to launch, but I didn't want to wait any longer. In the hopes of using what I *can* do to raise a little something for the relief efforts in Japan, I'd like to offer an 11x14 Fracture-mounted print of one of my photographs for auction.
fence in grass by kim thompson-steel
If you would like to bid on "Fence in Grass", please leave a comment with your bid amount, increasing previous bids by at least $2. (If you don't want to bid, but would like to leave a comment anyway, that's okay too!) Bidding will close by midnight PST this Sunday, March 20. I will match the winning bid up to $200 and will donate the entire amount to the Red Cross.
Please include an email address or contact info with your bid. If you'd like to bid anonymously, please email it to me at moseyalong [at] live [dot] com and I will add it to the comments. Check back often to ensure you haven't been outbid!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
___________________________________


Please start your bidding at $25. (If you don't want to bid, but just want to leave a comment, please do!)
ReplyDeleteHi Kim, I am going to do a blog post today on designers (and now photographers) doing pieces to raise funds for Japan. This would be my design blog (redesignblog.com). Can I share this and link back to you? I think I would need you to send me the file.
ReplyDelete$25 it is. I'll link to your post too.
ReplyDelete27$ from us!
ReplyDeleteLianne and girls
$40!
ReplyDelete$42 from me - thanks for doing this.
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful! It's a great thing you're doing here.
ReplyDeleteI bid $50.
Gorgeous photo! I bid $60.
ReplyDeleteLovely! Wish I weren't broke; the cause and the beauty of the print combined should inspire mega-bucks!
ReplyDeleteLove this. love your idea and I love that print. ( although the one of Alice may forever be my favorite ) I'll gladly bid $70.
ReplyDeletexo
Mo
I appreciate what you're doing to help the people in Japan. I already donated to Catholic Relief Services, and I continue to pray for those afflicted by nature's destructions. God bless you for what you & others are doing.
ReplyDeleteI wish I could bid, but I'm already out-bid, so I'll just chime in and say I think what you're doing is awesome!!! And I think that photograph is just amazing. I can't wait to see your website once it's up and running!
ReplyDelete(I had to stop watching; it was too heartbreaking. So I made a donation and just hope it helped a little bit.)
I just linked this post to my facebook account, which made me think - are YOU on facebook!?
ReplyDeleteRaising my bid to $75. :-)
ReplyDeleteI can't bid, I'm sorry, but that photo is gorgeous, I think this is a great thing you're doing, and I am so glad you are getting a site together. I am trying to do this as well and may e-mail you because you seem to have a handle on some tings I'm trying to figure out.
ReplyDeleteHi Kim
ReplyDeleteIf its not too late can I bid $80 please?
you know my email, lol
Gorgeous, gorgeous photo, Kim and a lovely gesture. xo.
ReplyDelete