www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

and then she ate it.


She walked out of school with it proudly held out in front of her, the words already spilling out of her mouth "can I eat it now?". She is devoted to her sweet tooth, even when it's her homework. On the way home she described what she was learning about geometric shapes, the three and two-dimensional world, and did I know what a rectangular prism was. After a somewhat uncomfortable silence, while in my head I was thinking "huh?", and trying not to despair at the fact that although I know what a rectangle is and what a prism is, I actually had to admit that my first grader is already outstripping me intellectually and that no I in fact did NOT know what a rectangular prism was.

Parenting is humbling.

___________________

More on Sweetpea in my shadow portrait post at Mortal Muses today.

16 comments:

  1. I love first grade. I do. Try fourth. Sigh. My kid thinks I'm a moron half the time.

    I'm shocked you got to see that in tact. I never do. Anything with candy is gone before it makes it home. Sometimes you can see where it was supposed to be. Like little candy stains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes it is...

    My 9 yr old had FIVE tests on Friday and I couldn't pass any of them. Latin? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the title of this post! So did she? Eat it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humbling indeed! I was lost at fifth grade math. Now, our daughter comes home from college telling us all about human anatomy and nutrition - yes, it's still humbling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I helped my second grader with regrouping and drawing graphs. Ugh... I wasn't good with it back then - nothing's changed!

    Hope her project was tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! We did exactly the same project, but as a race with families one Sunday. The boys won with a way ambitious sprawling mess of marshmallows and pasta whereas we girls slowly and carefully made sure ours was stable at every stage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes. Humbling for sure. I chalk it up to the fact that they have so few random pieces of information clogging up their brain...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Proof that marshmallows make you smarter... I might have to eat some.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, yes, as a former Montessori teacher, I regularly taught 3 year olds what a rectangular prism is. And an ovoid, and a sphere, and cone and lots of other lovely geometric solids. I wonder if their parents felt stupid. :)
    Parenting is the most humbling thing you will ever do. It's wonderful also.
    I heart Sweetpea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love the photo! I feel the same way about education and all that they have learned in so little time. On the other hand, it occurs to me that I function quite well without most of what I learned - lots of geometry, geography, and much more lost to cluttered brain cells. Knowing that helps me to approach education with some perspective - with a few exceptions, WHAT you learn is far less important than learning how to learn, and loving it as you go (I SO do love it!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the photo! I hope she dissolved her rectangular prism into a hot cup of cocoa!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Humbling. That is truth. I hope the marshmallows brought her great happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ha! Humbling for sure!
    I gave up somewhere around grade 5 :)

    LOVED this shot on flickr. She is so perfect sitting behind her masterpiece, camera in hands.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this photo.:-) I agree, parenting really is very humbling, and I love every minute of it.:-) Your kid is cool and smart.:-)

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails