I've been home from being overseas for five days and I still feel like I got tossed off a carousel and dumped into an alternate universe. Five weeks away, even with highs and lows during that five weeks, ill prepares one for re-entry into the reality of everyday life. The sun is shining, I've been pootling around in the garden trying (in vain) to rescue the tomato plants from blight, and attacking weeds that threaten to envelop the house. I am dipping back into work projects but wonder if working for a living is really necessary. Today I flatly refused our self-imposed edict not to spend any money (since we now don't have any), and went to a French café for a pain au chocolat and an espresso. It was a double and I feel good about it. I took a photo of the flowers outside the café with my cellphone just to show what a lovely time I was having.
See?
Sweetpea has completely recovered from jetlag and is happily ensconced at an art daycamp for the week. She seems to think that it is my job outside those hours to entertain her and arrange playdates. I'm not sure how to take this but am resisting my role as social convenor. Plus, after five weeks of eating pasta and gelato, very little in the way of milk, fruits and vegetables, plus buying souvenirs in every country we visited, she is acting just a little entitled. When I told her for the 11th time in a row to one of her many requests yesterday that no does in fact mean no, she said "But children are great negotiators". I blame my mother or mother-in-law for this, who I believe both announced this to her on separate occasions.
Sarcasm aside, re-entry is always confusing. English hubby and I both are occasionally restless, wondering whether we should move houses (or countries), change jobs, pull up roots and just start fresh elsewhere. Vacations don't help with that restlessness. Most of the time we are more than content with our lot in life. We live in a beautiful part of the world, have a house with a yard and a treehouse, families who love us and who like to visit and who we actually enjoy having visit, friends both local and far away who delight us. We bury the restlessness and live in the moment, enjoying our slice of life. But there's no getting away from the fact that wanderlust is in both of our souls, and that with our families on other sides of the continent and the ocean, we yearn for geographic closeness on occasion.
For the moment, I'll wait (just a tad impatiently) for the jetlag to loosen its grip, and for my itchy feet to relax and let my toes curl into the mud of this place, this time, this life. But I'll allow my daydreams to drift through my subconscious and keep the door unlocked for what potential shifts may happen...

Lovely post, thank you! The part about thinking that your job is to entertain and arrange playdates struck a chord: we have a child just like that! It gets to be completely maddening at times. Then I heave a sigh, remind myself that in a few short years she won't want to have anything to do with the old fogey, and settle down to another round of Go Fish.
ReplyDeleteAs for wanderlust, I have that too. Have no words of wisdom there.
Thanks for all the pics from Europe, I really enjoyed your trip!
You are such a talented lovely writer! Sometimes I forget because your photos are so breathtaking. You could totally be a travel writer and wander to your heart's content!
ReplyDeleteWelcome home!
ReplyDeleteMy kids are seeming similarly entitled this summer. xo
My goal is to make my footprint as small as possible so that one day I may be able to wander as much as possible. After time away re-entry can be difficult no matter if it's five weeks, or a few days. I have no problem after 24 hours forgetting all about a job, a home, and a dog waiting patiently for my return and feeling as though I've won the lottery, and never have to do an honest day’s work again.
ReplyDeleteAnd I heart Sweetpea and her entitled little self.
xo
The return after a long journey... It can feel so strange and disorienting. If an espresso and pain au chocolat are helpful, I say forget the edict. Good decision.
ReplyDeleteI feel grounded today. Day eight - so a few more to go. I predict your mind and body will respond exactly as mine.
ReplyDeleteAlso, what Christy said....
J xo
Coming back from vacation is SO HARD. I call it the vacation hangover. And after five weeks in Europe? Just try to survive the first two weeks home. Don't make yourself any goals beyond that.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I just published a post that might resonate with you right about now: http://spoiledonlychild.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/07/loss-of-heart.html
ReplyDeleteyou summed up sean and my daily thoughts and itch to go, go, go.
ReplyDeletelove your words.
You and I are SO on the same wavelength. Have been wondering just this week what big change I could make to satisfy the need for "more."
ReplyDeleteL xoxoxox
A wonderfully written post ... I completely understand that restless feeling ... I just want to explore my way through life.
ReplyDeleteI love this! I have felt this way and I have a bit of the wanderlust... though it has been somewhat quenched for now. We'll still have to talk about your trip to the southern hemi...
ReplyDeleteI always love your reflections; thanks! Seeing your photos made me itchy again to travel and I totally appreciate your angst at returning home; that's the way I've always felt, though as a child I thought that it was because it was dreary coming back to foggy San Francisco after summertime fun in warm elsewheres. I traveled once for a full year and STILL wanted to take off again as soon as I got back. That helped me realize that I need to embrace the discontent, use it as incentive to explore near and far whenever possible. Thanks again - your reflections and photos were a chance to do that, albeit vicariously....
ReplyDeleteA lovely post summing up all those yearnings and desires...Miss Sweetpea Does sound like a great negotiator!
ReplyDeleteWe are the same, without the actual traveling :)
ReplyDelete