We had observed her carefully setting up her shots over the course of the trip:
a purple wall in Burano,
the waterlilies in Monet's pond,
macro shots of ladybugs and butterflies on a mountaintop in Italy.
I ran to find a taxi and headed to the tourist office to see if the driver had returned there but they would not be seeing him until the next day. I left our contact information, and we spent a frustrating afternoon discovering that most of the museums, where we thought we might take advantage of the air conditioning before catching a train to London that evening, were closed. Disgruntled, we ate 12 Euro bowls of ice cream back at the hotel (air conditioned), gathered our bags and hit the road.
I sent a few emails to the tourist office, with responses that promised to send the camera if it was found. After a week, I tried contacting the Paris office of lost articles and posted an ad on Craigslist. I figured it was worth a shot, but the responses were negative and we resigned ourselves to the fact that the camera was gone. Sweetpea occasionally grieved but was happy with a disposable film camera for the rest of the trip.
Three weeks later, after we returned home, I send out one last email. It turned out the driver had turned in the camera weeks before but a miscommunication or perhaps the language barrier had prevented us from being informed. Now, how to get it back to us, since they refused to arrange a courier? English hubby remembered that a colleague happened to be in Paris and sent an email to ask if it would be possible for him to visit the tourist office and retrieve the camera. The next day we received a photo of Sweetpea's new best friend triumphantly holding her pink camera. It will be delivered to her in a few days.
Funny old world, this.
+ + +
Tonight, I published my last post as a Mortal Muse. I'm filled with mixed feelings - sadness at leaving a group of women I have grown to love and respect over the past year, but also optimism that other opportunities will come knocking at the doors I leave ajar. Time to put on my shoes and see what comes next....




Aw, that's wonderful! I hope you share some of her pictures!
ReplyDeleteI do love that purple photo.
ReplyDeleteI love a happy ending!
ReplyDeleteOur own Pea borrowed a camera from me for a school trip to the beach. I got a call at about 5pm from a very tearful Pea saying she'd lost the camera. She didn't lose days of pictures but she was clearly shattered that she's made this mistake.
About a half an hour later I got a call from a restaurant near the beach that someone had turned it in! After losing a camera on vacation a few years back I've taken to putting my phone number on all the gadgets that we carry ....
So good that she got her camera back.
ReplyDeleteFunny how things sometimes work in this world.
Some might see this as a small loss, but not me. So much emotion is shared with our cameras and our journals. I took these things as seriously as a young girl as I do now, perhaps even more so back then. I'm happy the pink camera is on the way to where it belongs. Cheers to new opportunities for you and for Sweetpea and her camera.
ReplyDeleteWonderful! Would never imagine a camera coming back from across the world. By the way, what camera does she have? I'd like to find an inexpensive camera that is good for a young kid. The cheap camera we got at Target is terrible.
ReplyDeleteThat is so amazing about the camera! You have fantastic karma! And I'm sure other opportunities are right around the corner for you!!!
ReplyDelete@spoiledonlychild: Sweetpea's camera is actually my old point and shoot - Canon SD800 - with a pink shell! (see "what cameras" in my sidebar...)
ReplyDeleteThat's a great story! I am glad she got it back (and I am sure you have missed that something extra in your pocket)
ReplyDeleteHey, why is your stint at mortal muses over?
The joy of a found lost thing!
ReplyDeleteHad no idea your stint would end - should I bring beer?
Isn't it amazing that even though something may seem lost forever we may still end up getting surprised in the end? Your sweet pea is too cute!
ReplyDeleteSuch a happy ending! I bet this is an ending Sweetpea will always remember:)
ReplyDeleteWill miss you at Mortal Muses but wish you the best on new ventures...
I'm so happy for Sweetpea. And so glad that the world is indeed a nice place most of the time.
ReplyDeleteI have those same mixed feelings. I'm still trying to weed through them.
I loved this story I was getting all weepy for sweetpea, a girl and her pink camera is a special bond.
ReplyDeletePS. I'm going to miss you on MM. sniff sniff.
i am so glad you are getting her camera back! i would be devastated, plus i know she tried hard on those shots. last post too? :(
ReplyDeleteoh yeah what was i thinking, i remembered you introduced holly. this is still all not sinking in on me, people leaving new ones coming... i'm sure it will be fun still :)
ReplyDeleteYay!!!!!1 I love this story! By the end, I cheered out loud!
ReplyDeleteKim, I got your lovely postcard in the mail today! Thanks so much. I hope you enjoyed all the cards you got in return. I blogged about your card today - here is the link:
ReplyDeletehttp://raeisravenous.blogspot.com/2011/08/thursday.html
Thanks again!
It renews my faith when things work out as they should. Especially so when a child is concerned.
ReplyDeleteyour blog is getting lonely. xo tam
ReplyDelete