Friday, September 9, 2011
universal truth
Don't take it for granted. None of it.
Just when I start to feel disgruntled by life's little inconveniences, forgetting gratitude and grace, something comes along to remind me what's important. Sometimes it is a small whisper, a warm nudge, sometimes it's a bigger event that propels me out of the doldrums, or sometimes it's an almost violent kick in the pants.
Sweetpea has had a rough re-entry into school. She started 2nd grade last week with optimism but not a little apprehension. In kindergarten and 1st grade she came home from school bursting with enthusiasm for everything - her class, her teacher, her friends. Excitement overflowed. This year, her first day was "horrid" (why yes, she is the daughter of an Englishman). She was teary and worried and overwhelmed. We meditated that night, breathing in warm sunlight and good thoughts, and blowing out all the frustrations and unhappy events of the day. It seemed to work, although her bounce this past week has been tempered, as if she is expecting the other shoe to drop.
This morning she woke up with a sunny good morning, and then dissolved into tears when I rebuked her for not getting ready fast enough. The day was ruined in her mind and I sulkily refused to apologize, behaving not like the parent and adult that I am, but instead like the child. I was rewarded with the reminder that she is a bigger and better person than I am, as she hugged and forgave and jollied me out of my own dark cloud as we walked hand-in-hand to school.
I came home feeling lighter, but still clinging to malaise - not willing to give up that last bit of the brow-furrowing-got-out-of-bed-on-the-wrong-sidedness.
Only to open my computer and be hit not by a gentle whisper or a warm nudge, but by the punch to the solar plexus breathlessness that a beautiful soul I know through the blogging community had lost her son to the flooding in Virginia yesterday. I had just visited her blog the night before, admired the back to school photos of her 7th grade son and 5th grade daughter, been inspired by a post which she ended with the wisdom that although we may not get out of life what we thought we signed up for, we are not alone.
I can only hope that she feels that truth, if not now then in the days ahead. I can't imagine it, but Anna - we are here. Weeping and aching and wishing time could go backward, perhaps wringing our hands helplessly, but praying and uplifting you and your family from our corners of the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Beautifully written Kim.
ReplyDeleteI am finding it hard to comprehend this tragedy and looking at those first day of school pictures of that beautiful boy, now lost, are beyond heartbreaking.
Perspective that we never wanted.
My heart aches for her and her family.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, we never want this perspective but it happens and when it happens we have to deal with it the best way we can.
That is a beautiful post. My heart breaks for Anna. I need too reminders like this.
ReplyDeleteI hope Sweetpea finds her place in 2nd grade!
Beautifully said Kim. I woke up with tears in my eyes...I simply can't imagine how she is feeling right now...
ReplyDeleteAnd Sweetpea - so precious. I hope her re-entry to school gets smoother...and you are easy on yourself too. You're a wonderful mother.
First time visitor. Your post is beautifully written and touches my heart, which is so sad right now. I have been reading Anna for a long time and I am so sorry to hear of her loss.
ReplyDeleteAmen.
ReplyDeleteI love your honesty and will hold tight to your words. my heart goes out to their family. what a tragedy.
ReplyDeleteMore tears.
ReplyDeleteOh Kim...this says it all...
ReplyDeleteI read this yesterday and was immediately in tears. You said it so perfectly. I still can't believe it... If I'm heartbroken, I can't imagine how Anna is feeling ...
ReplyDeleteAs for sweetpea. I hope things look up for her. Horrid is never a way to end a school day!
I am so happy that there are so many posts for Anna.
ReplyDeleteI hope it helps, even just a little bit.
Because I can't imagine what her thoughts are like right now.
I can't.
I love you. Your words are gorgeous. I am hoping that Anna feels all of the love and support and tears and grief that is here for her with her online friends. As you said, if not now then in the days ahead.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful post, and your words offer that reminder to not worry about the little things in life because time is precious.
ReplyDeleteI hope Sweetpea has better school days ahead.
Oh, I'm praying for her right now. So sorry for her terrible, agonizing, inconceivable loss!
ReplyDeleteHope that SP has better school days soon, too.
Love your photo!
Hugs, T
wow, that is so sad for your blog friend. it really makes you appreciate every day.
ReplyDeleteThis is so heartbreaking. I'm so very sorry to hear of your friend's suffering and loss. It is so very difficult to lose a loved one, but losing a child is unimaginable to me. Time will heal. Her life has changed forever and as time passes, your friend will see the profound affect her son has had on so many lives. She will know that he is always with her, comforting her, and supporting her no matter where she goes.
ReplyDeleteSweetpea will have happier days ahead and hopefully the horrid 1st day will be forgotten with happy memories in place.
Cannot get my mind around this. I pray Anna and her family are surrounded with love and support.
ReplyDeletexoxo
Wow! So beautifully written. Loved what you wrote about sweetpea. I wasn't even expecting the ending. It has really got me thinking. I've been so cranky with my kids of late. They've had a hard time with school and schedules. When I pick them up today, I will hug them extra hard. Whether they like it or not.
ReplyDeleteThis is my first time to visit your blog. What a beautiful post. I appreciated it so very much this monday morning! xx's for your little sweetpea!
ReplyDeletethank you, love.
ReplyDeleteSo incredibly sad. Time to step back and feel thankful for all I have.
ReplyDelete