www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Sunday, November 13, 2011

eight


As I write this, it's 10:28 p.m. At this moment eight years ago I was about eight centimetres dilated after roughly 28 hours of labour. Almost eight hours later my eight pound, 12 ounce baby girl emerged bleating like a little lamb.

She confounds me, she delights me, she tests my patience, she overwhelms me with love. She's often more mature than me, more easily forgives, and asks "are you happy?" when she knows I'm not which prompts me to make a mental adjustment to my own attitude. She talks and moves incessantly, but will fall silent on occasion, and will ask for quiet time when she feels sad or overwhelmed. 

She is pulling away from us slowly, desiring to be with her friends more than with us.  But still loves to snuggle with a book at bedtime, play frisbee or catch with us at the park, or go boogie boarding at the beach.

She is smart and silly and joyful and today my baby is eight.  Eight.  I don't know what to do with that fact so I'm going to ignore it and go watch her sleep and listen to her breathe and grieve a little and then wake up tomorrow and eat chocolate cupcakes with her and watch breathlessly for what she'll do next...

12 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your darling girl! How lucky that she has a mom who can capture her so beautifully in words and images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh happy birthday sweetpea! You are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this blog is around for a long time. How cool will it be for her to read what you are thinking on this day, when she's all grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh lovely, sweet pea! happy birthday! seriously, you are so right on with the 'time thing' ... why does it have to go by so quickly?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picture - and reflection. Happy Birthday, SP, and Happy Mom's Day to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are such a good Mom, and SweetPea is a treasure.
    Hope it was a wonderful day
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. Mine turns 6 today--I am equally bewildered at how that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tears. I love how you know her. Happy belated Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails