I could deal with depression a whole lot easier if I wasn't a mother - bury my head in the covers and wallow in it. This past week or two I fell into a blue abyss and have been combating it as fiercely as I can - soaking in vitamin d, going for runs, trying to be kind to myself while not snarling at everyone around me. I have an eight year old who naturally revels in this time of year and needs me to supply the magic, so I fight that sinking ship of melancholy.
I've been following the prompts from Tracey Clark's Picture the Holidays as incentive since starting my 365 project on December 1. Today was all about trying to photograph what the spirit of the holidays is for me, the divine essence of what Christmas represents. I dragged around my black cloud for most of the morning, through breakfast and appointments and a meagre attempt at work, wondering how I was going to pull that rabbit out of my hat. And then, as it does, the help was supplied with no intervention on my part except for putting myself in its path by treating myself to a coffee. And a pain au chocolat, but that isn't part of this story. It was tasty though.
I stood at the coffee bar stirring agave into my cup, dimly aware of a man beside me stirring his own drink, sensing in my peripheral vision that he was looking my way. And that he looked something like a certain jolly old elf. When I slid my eyes toward him, he beamed at me and said "I was stirring mine the other direction so we could balance the universe."
And while the cloud didn't disappear, it withdrew to a manageable distance.
Balance. Peace.

Love your description of your interaction with this jolly old elf fellow. I once had something somewhat similar happen, also in a coffee shop, but it was a woman who spoke to me. It was like she sensed I needed her words. I did. These moments of fate are quite thought provoking. I hope tomorrow feels a little lighter.
ReplyDeleteI love this.... and the photo too.
ReplyDeleteLove what this man said. It is all about keeping it all in balance.
ReplyDeleteSending you big hugs and the stormy winds to blow your black cloud away!
xxx
if only we could keep the universe in balance every day. i'm stirring my tea here on the east coast in hopes that it will help. your blue landscape is like a zen meditation. gorgeous. much love from cape cod.
ReplyDeleteHugs to you my amazing friend. I hope it gets easier soon.
ReplyDeleteI've found that having kids makes it easier. Just because we still have to get up each day and be there for them.
Beautiful image and beautiful story. What a lovely old elf, to give you a little dose of balance.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a sweet story. Did he disappear in a puff of smoke after? So magic...x
ReplyDeleteWhat a magical meet-up...and what a magical photo:)
ReplyDeleteA brilliant moment. I couldn't help but smile.
ReplyDeleteYour elf's comment made me smile; thanks (I needed that!) Hope that you soon feel better.
ReplyDeleteSo sweet!
ReplyDeleteThinking of you.