I come back to study this space once or twice a week. I look at it with my head cocked to one side remembering the days of having the time and space to fill it up with my meandering thoughts and photographs. It is both a comfortable friend and a mocking empty canvas. What to put here? Words? Pictures? Nothing?
I have so much in my head and so many half-started projects and creative ventures that I think it has overwhelmed me to the point of inertia. Almost.
But soon, I think, the wheels will unlock and I'll skitter-bump into forward motion again. Because I want to share the exciting possibilities of what I'm doing and planning. Writing makes me accountable, which has become necessary for me since leaving my comfy and secure career over six years ago and working from home while being a parent.
Here's one little piece of the puzzle - a commitment to a 365 project: one (or more) photos every day for an entire year. To develop my skills as a photographer, and give myself permission to look away from the computer, the mundane tasks of daily life, and the business of developing not only my own business but a project so big and exciting that I've barely breathed since it was recently announced publicly.
So here, to ground me, is my hand firmly clasped with Sweetpea's. Because there is no piece of the puzzle, no new beginning that does not have her in it.
And just in case you were wondering what that so big project might be, I will be co-directing/producing the 2012 San Francisco LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER show with the wonderful Kirsten of The Norwindians. I will have more information soon on just what it will involve, but for now I'll say that one of the reasons I'm involved is the Open Mic session that took place at Blogher in San Diego this past August. It was an intimate venue where women were invited to step up to the podium and read their words out loud. Ann Imig, the founder of Listen to Your Mother, hosted the Open Mic and it was hands-down the most inspiring and FUN event I've attended at a conference.
Wish us luck? And if you are a writer/mother in the San Francisco Bay Area, be prepared for us to come knocking....

I am so excited for you! If only SF was a hop skip and a jump away for me!
ReplyDeleteBest of all luck my friend. Both in your 365 which will be outstanding and the LTYM show. You will glow I just know it!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see where you are going.
xxx
Good for you - sounds fun and you'll be marvelous!
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way about the half done projects started I get to a point where I just can't move, forward or backward. I know that LTYM is going to be a game changer for you. I heard so many great things when it made a stop in Southern California recently.
ReplyDeleteI only wish I lived in SF to be a part of it. sigh.
That is so amazing for you! And yay for the 365 project I am almost tempted to do another one, I believe it helped my photography skills more than anything else :) xoxo
ReplyDeleteYou, my dear, are going to be a huge success. I can feel it, visualize it, believe in it...
ReplyDeletexo
So honored and excited that you and Kirsten are bringing LTYM to San Fran. I have chills!
ReplyDeleteI am so living the half finished projects thing too! Thrilled that you've got some exciting projects in the works and will be happy to listen when your 365 drives you crazy!!!!
ReplyDeleteBest of luck with this big project. Exciting stuff as we wind down one year and prepare for the next. Enjoy the process.
ReplyDeleteWow! Awesome; congratulations!
ReplyDeleteI do that with my b log too--just haven't been able to do it lately (though I did just post). It sounds like you have some interesting going-ons around there.
ReplyDeleteI just know it's going to be amazing. There are mom's out there with stories to tell and we just need to find them.
ReplyDelete