she believes by mosey|kim
I don't know how long she will keep wanting to see Santa, but I'm planning on dragging her to see him through her teens. At least. Because Christmas is MAGIC, people. (in Sweetpea lingo pronounced "pee-opple")
Last summer while we were in Ireland she told my mother that she was going to ask for a leprechaun for Christmas. Thankfully, my mother told her that Santa doesn't bring living, breathing creatures because you can't own another being. She's a smarty-pants, my mum, and a fast thinker. I thought we were in good shape for our trip yesterday to see Santa as I'd vetted her preferences beforehand. Imagine my surprise as we walked away to learn that she had asked for an iPhone. I splutteringly refrained from saying that I don't even have an iPhone, and instead mentioned that I was pretty sure Santa wouldn't be bringing an iPhone since she was too young for one (plus I don't have one yet, have I mentioned that?), and that Santa only brings presents that are okay by the parents. And that the parent herself owns. Okay I left out that last part.
This naturally enough caused some sadness, so before leaving the mall we made a return visit to Santa, who was delighted to see her again, and asked him to make a small change on his list.
Magic restored.

sounds like you're a smarty pants and a fast thinker, too, just like your mum. your girlie is gorgeous with that twinkle in her eyes! xoxo
ReplyDeleteGood lord! I was talking to a friend the other day about how she was explaining to her son that, even though santa had brought his very rich friend his own playstation (or something like that) that THEIR santa can't do that. My kids are still very simple in their requests (except for the horse ;-). I am sure that won't lasat much longer though
ReplyDeleteI think she is a genius, a leprechaun is the perfect christmas gift - a year full of wishes, nothing is better than that.
ReplyDeleteLook at those eyes! Aidan has a $100 bill on his list. Now I know what to tell him "but, mommy doesn't have one" ; )
ReplyDeleteHope your having a lovely day today!
lol - brilliance runs in the family obviously.
ReplyDeleteI believe too, Sweetpea, I do.
My grandson surprised everyone when he asked Santa for a Wii (sp?)last Saturday....my daughter did say something similar to him re Santa giving only parent approved gifts:) Smart women!
ReplyDeleteOh my. This brought tears to my eyes. Mostly because you don't have an iphone. If only you had a friend that could get you a discount....
ReplyDeleteAlso because the fact that she believes is the definition of magic.
Love that you went back to set Santa straight.
My girls couldn't think of anything to ask for other than a kitten and a puppy. "NO, SANTA, DON'T!" I shouted from the edge of the room. Might as well blame mean-mommy than the man in red. (As you may recall, we already have a very large, sweet dog. And a turtle. Enough!)
ReplyDelete