www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Now what?

There she goes....



...off to Kindergarten,
another in a long line of past and future firsts.

She was calm, matter-of-fact, quietly excited, and gave us a kiss in the hand before turning to her teacher without a backward glance.

I'm not a particularly emotional mother and wasn't today. However, I've had butterflies for the last two days and over the summer have had a palpable sense of the enormity of this day as it approached.

After our return from Canada ten days ago, I wanted to make every moment count. I wanted to spend quality time with Sweetpea, have fun with her, be proactive and plan memorable activities. Instead we pretty much did what we always do, other than some shopping for school clothes. I felt rudderless for some reason, and couldn't even work up the enthusiasm to blog or get on Facebook. But she and I spent every moment together up until English hubby and I left her classroom this morning, and I guess that's what counts.

What comes next, time will tell. I have lists to make, closet purges and cleaning to do, my work website to re-build and some demo reels to edit while my baby makes a huge leap into her future.

7 comments:

  1. It looks like there will be some leaps for both of you in the future. Good luck getting your website up (and your closets purged).

    My last week with the kids was much like yours... big plans sounded so good, but we ended just haning out while I mentally prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i went to school every day without a backwards glance, except for the days i ran after my mother's car in the parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hooray for sweetpea! hooray for mom!

    so far i've cleaned out the toy closet and filed a years worth of paperwork.

    we must get together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad and happy at the same time! I do hope she enjoys school. From what I've read about her she seems like she would love it. I'd be excited about all the stuff I could get done while she is away(yet I would miss her).

    Maybe you could bake some bricks...I mean bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was the same way .... not emotional about it at all really. While other mothers were dreading "the first day of kindergarten", I couldn't wait! In fact, if memory serves, I SKIPPED away from the school. Bad mommy??!! That said, I DO still get butterflies on the first morning for them though! My girls are starting Gr 4 and Gr 2 this year ... time goes WAY too fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Sweetpea!

    Mama - cocktails, spa day?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best wishes for a wonderful start to fall for you both -- does fall happen in your neck of the woods?

    Back-to -school for the last 3 years has meant back for Julia and me, and we've somewhat enjoyed the preparation together--I always pick her up and go for ice cream on the first day -- that helps!

    before that -- the 39 of those years were back-to-school was just me (first as a student, then as a teacher) and each year was a mixed bag of emotions -- dread of the work to come, longing for more of a routine..

    One year - other than the first days of Kindergarten, high school and uni -- stands out -- the year I DIDN'T have to go back b/c I was on parental leave -- that was such a joy -- went for ice cream and pedicure that day!

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails