www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Turnabout

A few weeks ago as I studied the Italian countryside in minute detail, ate a lot of gelato, and read a few good books, my lovely friend TopsyTurvy wrote amusingly about the seeming disparity between our vacations and our reading material here.

I pride myself on my wide-ranging literary taste, although I'm not much for thrillers or mysteries usually. Memoirs I love - doesn't matter the topic as long as it's well-written;
(Ruth Reichl, Elizabeth Gilbert, Rick Bragg, Greg Mortenson, M.F.K. Fisher to name just a few)
big lusciously detailed novels (Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible); anything literary with big words that I have to look up (Robertson Davies); short stories (Grace Paley, Alice Munro) and essays (again, Barbara Kingsolver); histories both non-fiction and fiction (I'll have to dig through my shelves when I get home). I'll read just about anything.

This past week I've been hanging out with my family (and Sweetpea) in Canada and decided to pick up TopsyTurvy's reading material from her post to see what all the fuss is about.


I'm hopelessly hooked. In the last three days, I finished the first two books in the series, am staying up til all hours reading the third, and have seen the film on DVD at my sister's house. I'm exhausted and there's still another book to go.

I think I have a crush on a teenage vampire. I hope English hubby won't mind.

What are you reading? I'm going to need something soon to distract me.

(Updates from Canada coming soon. If I can tear myself away from Edward and Bella that is. And the fact that English hubby is rejoining Sweetpea and me in a couple of days and I'm pretty sure I won't want to tear myself away from him....)

8 comments:

  1. I'm reading the book you lent me - I love it. Try Toast by Nigel Slater.
    I am quite undone that you are engulfed by Twilight - now I HAVE to read it and I was so happy to be not interested.....
    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And my sister didn't even mention what we had to do to watch the movie...my 10 year old is furious that I won't let her see it (and - no - that won't be happening for several years)...so we hid the dvd after renting it and then deliberately waited till said 10 year old had gone to bed at nine! The series is addicting...readers beware.

    L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I know quite a few women hooked on this Edward guy (Angela being one of them Lianne!!), but I just can't bring myself to pick up the book .... it just doesn't do anything for me. Everyone I know who has read this series, LOVES them (and the movie) so I just might have to give it a try. I like my trashy mystery/murder with a good romance thrown in books, but also enjoy some of the ones you mentioned. Have you tried "Anna Karenina" by Leo Tolstoy? Not one that I would normally pick up, but it was one of Oprah's picks so I thought I'd try it. LOVED it! Couldn't put it down. Enjoy your time here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to start book three. I read book two up in washington, just down the coast from Forks. I was such a geek about it with my mom.

    Must explain that originally Twilight was to be my backup book on vacation (Lent to me by my neighbors 20 year au pair.) I didn't think I'd read it but I forgot my main book and loe and behold, I was hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading and used to be an avid reader... but something about being an eternal grad student and constantly feeling guilty about what I should be reading instead kills the reading for pleasure... well that and two little tots. I may just have to pick up Twilight... if you say it is so good. Enjoy the reading and the English Hubby. You can update us later... we'll forgive you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Believe me, Scottish Lass, I'm quite undone as well. I had no interest whatsoever in reading any of the books or seeing the film prior to this. Annje, pick it up and take off your grad student hat for a while - it's an easy, quick read - pure candy!

    Donna, I've meant to read Anna Karenina for years, so you've definitely given me the impetus. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently saw the movie, too. I also have a crush on a teenage vampire. :)

    Post Office by Jack Kerouac is a fun, quick read. He has such a smooth, tell it like it is style I find refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, I meant Post Office by Bukowski!

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails