A little over a year ago someone discovered a couple of bins of her negatives in an auction, not knowing what he had found until he started scanning the negatives. He pieced together her story bit by bit, not knowing that he had just missed meeting her in person, as she had died only days before he initiated a search for her. You can have a look at some of her work and read the story more indepth here: Vivian Maier - Her Discovered Work. There is also a documentary in the making, a short trailer for which can be found here: Finding Vivian Maier.
Shortly before hearing of her, we went to a Henri Cartier-Bresson exhibit at SFMOMA. He was (and still is) one of the most influential photojournalists of the century. He defines what street photography is all about for me - capturing a moment in time and telling a story with the image.
I'm so inspired by their work (and others) and aspire to take images in the same vein. One of my longtime desires is to make documentaries. The editing part I can handle, it's the putting the camera on a human subject that scares the pants off me. Whether it's videography or photography.
I'm working towards it slowly. My photos of strangers are usually quick and dirty from-the-hip shots, and I need to get braver about capturing what I see - there are only so many photos of my shoes I can take.
This one is a bit of a cheat since that's English hubby strolling toward camera. I'm working on it!
___________________
We are musing on street scenes this week at Mortal Muses. You can see another photo with my affable hubby in the background on my post today.

Well it may be cheating, but it's freaking awesome! You are so lovely and approachable - I'm sure (most) strangers would love to let you take their picture! I sure would. But I'm not a stranger, so I guess that'd be cheating too. Hmpf.
ReplyDeleteAnd - what an interesting story! I'd never heard it and can't wait to read more and see the trailor!
great post. i love that photo. you can do it with a stranger, just relax, look confident and click!
ReplyDeleteoops. that last comment was from me. i have so many google accounts, sometimes i forget which one i am signed on with when i am commenting :)
ReplyDeleteI'm with you. I always feel like I'm doing something wrong, photographing people who are unaware. LOL! But it's fun! I need the nerve to ask.
ReplyDeleteLove this shot and the wet asphalt.
Vivian fascinates the hell out of me. Her shots are unbelievable, and there they were, all boxed up and hidden away. Some not even developed! Blows my mind.
Photographing strangers is odd. It kinda feels like a violation of privacy and social niceties for me. Though I've never had a bad reaction when I've taken people's pictures. If they notice, I'll tell them they were so captivating that I had to take a picture, and they smile like I just handed them a million dollars.
ReplyDeleteWhat an incredible story - now I want to track down her work
ReplyDeleteDo it! Pursue your dream! I bet once you got used to talking to strangers, you would wonder what you were afraid of. Kind of like living in another country...
ReplyDeleteI also feel uncomfortalbe when taking pictures of strangers. It's just weird. I hope to get braver as well.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting to read about Vivian Maier as well as watching the trailer. What a story! I want to know more now of course.
Awesome picture!
I did saw that Vivian Maier video on her work a month ago and I thought it was so inspiring. I mean how beautiful are those images even in black and white, so striking and stunning! i love these walls that you took, they are very creative and the mood in your photo is striking =)
ReplyDeleteHow does it work with photographing strangers? Do you ask their permission first? Guess that would kind of screw up the shot. But I would also feel a bit awkward about taking someone's photo, unless there was a way to seem like you were taking a group shot or shooting an object on the sidewalk or something. Maybe you just need to perfect your cover story? (Oh, I was just getting my lens focused, or trying to shoot that mural behind you... or something?)
ReplyDelete@Christy(1): thank you! I'll be sure to remind you next time I see you that I get to take your picture. :)
ReplyDelete@Christy(2): Your street photos of strangers are AWESOME, and inspire me to get out there and just do it.
@Jan: I know, right? She blows my mind too.
@Jade and @spoiledonlychild:
There's a New York fashion photographer with a blog called The Sartorialist - he takes amazing street photography and very straightforwardly asks people if he can take their photo. If they say no, he moves on. I'd like to be brave enough to do it both ways - grab moments unaware, and politely ask in other cases.
@Jamie, @Carola @blue elephant photography: It's an amazing story, isn't it?
@Kat: what you've done with your life - moving to another country and discovering new passions is an amazing story in itself. You are awesome.
I feel weird taking pictures of people when they're aware of me, too. When I was in Peru people were very camera shy, and if I thought it would offend I wouldn't take pictures. But I can't count how many pictures I took with my camera at chest height, held as if I was just looking about for something to photograph but hadn't put it to my eye yet. Some turned out poorly, but some were good memories and had a feeling of movement and their candid interest in me.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great photo!
i loved this post, so interesting. and great shot.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, beautiful photograph. Any favorite documentaries you can point me to? A couple I've enjoyed that come to mind are Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037 and Encounters at the End of the World.
ReplyDeletecan't wait to see what comes next...
ReplyDeleteIf only I lived near you, I'd be begging you for lessons ... BEGGING!
ReplyDeleteYour capture is wonderful - husband or not! I was amazed when I first read about Vivian. The originality and perfection of her compositions and value arrangements is so powerful. And the feeling and emotion she was able to capture, oh my!
ReplyDeleteI find shooting in a big city, I feel kind of anonymous and not intimidated photographing people. Quite different from doing a portrait, which is very intimate. Since I live in the woods, trees are my usual subjects and they are always accommodating!
A gorgeous photo. I wonder how adored Vivian would have been if she had a blog.
ReplyDelete