I'm not sure why I'm trying to bake bread (as one of my California friends said last weekend: "Dude! Score yourself a bread machine!!"). It's part of a desire to simplify my life somehow - get back to simple tasks, get Sweetpea involved with making and growing food (we're planning a vegetable garden next spring and are working on a raised bed right now that the gophers can't infiltrate). I'm even thinking of learning to sew. I know. Who is this girl??
Part of it is probably that I've been on such a crash course with exhaustion this past six months. Working freelance from home is not all it's touted to be. It's HARD. Although I'm not eager to re-enter the studio world of stress and office politics, it did have its advantages. My Sweetpea has been a trooper, coping with my moods and tantrums, and only occasionally telling me that she wants a new Mummy. One who isn't tired and frustrated all the time.
Part of it is getting hooked on the world of blogs. I resisted as long as I could, but it's addictive and I'm weak. I'm also the world champion in procrastinating. T thinks she is, but I'm claiming the title for myself. Blogs are the perfect method for procrastination.
There are a plethora of creative, energetic, craft-y, obviously perfect mothers in the blogging world. I find myself inspired, full of admiration, and frequently disgruntled at their obviously perfect homes and children. However, I'm realistic enough to know they have the same daily frustrations that I do, as well as the joys. And why not focus on the positive - it helps make life sweeter.
So here's my blog. And here's my bread.
And here's what Sweetpea was making while I made bread.
I make bread from scratch as well,learned from my mom. I think the trick is the water temperature. That is what makes or breaks the yeast. Once you get a feel for how warm it needs to be (it depends on the recipe and whether the yeast sits alone first or mixed in all together). And find a warm enough place for it to rise--it's all about temp.
ReplyDeleteDon't give up, maybe try a few different recipes and see what happens. And don't give in and get a bread machine. . . nothing smells like success and home like baking bread that you made yourself. Plus, once you have mastered yeast, it doesn't take that long to make bread. . . just time for rising.
Thanks for the bread-making tips! Wish I'd had them the first weekend I attempted it. I probably didn't make it clear enough in my post (and my sister commented that my pictures were a poor representation - I'll work on that!), but the bread was a success and my daughter has been enjoying a piece toasted every morning with local honey. Delish!
ReplyDeleteJust feeling nostalgic, wasting time on a Friday night trying to figure out when "our" first year blogiversary is (because we started out about the same time). This comment on the bread was me (before I was ready to sign in to comment)--I think it was one of your first commenters. Ok,I'll leave you to your Fri night...
ReplyDelete