www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Monday, February 2, 2009

Back from blue, and back to basics

Last week was a WEEK. And I'm grateful for the sweet notes asking how I am. I'm well thank you, and I really am, but it was touch and go for a few days as I coped (or didn't cope) with some emotional volcanoes. Hamster videos aside, my loved ones brought me back onto an even keel by simply being there. Sweetpea lay on top of me on the couch whispering "it's okay mummy", and my lovely Englishman was home in mere moments when I needed him.

I'm breathing deeply, trying to ask for help when I need it (a sometimes impossible task), and trying to remember to keep it simple.

So Sweetpea and I baked.

In my continuing pursuit of using healthier ingredients even for the sweet stuff, we baked spelt cookies. For those of you not familiar with it, spelt is an ancient whole grain full of nourishment and often more tolerable to those who have trouble with wheat.

Here is Sweetpea's monitoring station including a stool with refreshment should she feel faint with impatience waiting for the timer to go off.


And here are the cookies. They have a slightly grainy texture, almost cake-y, but you throw a few semi-sweet chocolate chips in there and deliciousness is guaranteed. Next time I'd use a little less flour to give them a bit more chewyness, but overall very tasty.


I also baked a loaf of spelt bread which turned out great - better than my whole wheat version - and unbelievably yummy toasted with fresh local honey. I used the recipe right on the package for both.


Can't get simpler than bread and cookies. I needed the reminder.

3 comments:

  1. Now THAT'S a loaf of bread!!!! Great job, wish I could do as well.

    Lots of love, Lianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make the bread look so good! I've got to try bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you had such a bad week, but I am glad the baked goods helped a little. That always makes me happy too. I have never baked with spelt... interesting... I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails