Anyway, I've always known that the key to unblocking myself is by starting somewhere, however banal.
One of my many delights while traveling through southern China was observing signs and how well they translated into English. Or not.

On another note, Sweetpea started recognizing Chinese characters on our trip, and figured out what EXIT looked like from the door signs in our hotels. On our various flights, she would pull the Emergency Information Card out of the seat pocket (to learn her evacuation routes in case of a disaster, of course) and start picking out the characters for "Exit". She's obviously brilliant.
She included this page in her journal that she kept for school:
(as a kindergartner, she writes phonetically except for words she has memorized)






Ugh - right there with you...hours of work this week to figure out which photos to print (and stealing shamelessly from yours, and b-i-l's collections).
ReplyDeleteOn the subject of translations in China, one of my favourites was seen in a market t-shirt stop, saying "I'm a hoodlum." hee hee
And Sweatpea IS brilliant. I have saved her note - written beautifully in gold marker - that says all children should go to China.
What a task I still have photos I haven't printed but did the ones we wanted in frames. I love that Sweatpea made the note about all the kids going to China and also love that she worked in her journal. Good for her. I have a picture of a western toilet sign and it has a character drawing of an old woman curly hair and glasses and obviously not chinese and says women under the picture. It is too funny! Have fun, can't wait to see more of your pics posted and your English hubby's as well.
ReplyDeleteYou two stole my thunder - I was going to include that note in a follow-up post. ;)
ReplyDeleteAnd *printing*?? Can't even go there in my head yet....
Linguistic nerd that I am, I love those signs and their translations.
ReplyDeleteYes, yes, yes, comparisons are futile... your photos are always beautiful.
Sweetpea is clearly a genius.
thanks for the giggle about the signs -- those and the whole trip seem a lifetime ago.
ReplyDeletehaven't even had the energy to finish my blog let alone start sorting pictures.
if you feel disappointed in YOUR pictures compared to English Hubby -- how do you think the rest of us feel...
all relative...
hope you have a good week.
I suppose meet means don't let your head and this rock meet...hilarious!
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure your daughter spells better than I do (thank goodness for spell check).
ReplyDeleteClearly she is brillant.
For those of us dying of jealousy over your trip to China ANY of your photos will be nectar - get to it woman.
ReplyDeleteHow does it feel to be mother to a child genius?