www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Thursday, March 25, 2010

hesitantly optimistic

I tend not to get involved with political discussions as a rule, especially online. I'm one of those people who thinks of the perfect response about two hours after a discussion is over. Then boy oh boy do I sound smart as I mutter around my toothbrush and present my argument to the mirror.

I admire those who state their sides eloquently and brace themselves for the fall-out - whether it's constructive criticism or brainless heckling. But some of my bloggy friends are bravely entering the U.S. health care debate, asking good questions as they try to wrap their heads (and mine) around the issue. Not only do I want to be supportive but I figured it was time to stick my own neck out. I remember saying to a mentor of mine, years ago, that I was a fence sitter and didn't feel I had opinions either way in many situations. She said, wisely, that being a fence sitter is a position and perhaps my role could be as arbitrator or facilitator.

I'm now much more opinionated than I was then (in my early 20's), and nothing fires me up more than injustice (perceived or otherwise). As both a Canadian and an American (with a daughter who is a fiercely patriotic American at six years old), I'm willing to see both sides of an issue, but I definitely lean solidly in favour of health care being a RIGHT for every human being. And I proudly claim my consternation that anyone would not be in favour of the same thing.

One friend wrote about being "saddened and dumbstuck" about how many are against reforming health care and how the media is presenting information that is unbiased and in my opinion, untrue.

Another friend wrote about the "level of crazy" people have reached simply because of differing opinions.

And a Canadian blogging acquaintance, always thoughtful and always well-written, expressed her concern that as a society we are politically, spiritually and culturally terrified of any change.

My response to her post was this*: I don't think the whole health care issue has much to do with health care. People are afraid of change, yes. The media is blowing it all way out of proportion, yes. But the American political system is like a dog chewing ferociously on its own tail - whatever the issue is, someone (holding an opposing viewpoint) will take the complete and opposite standpoint just because. Because they don't want the other side to "win". Because they think they could do it better. Because they're afraid they'll look bad in the eyes of their constituents. Because God forbid someone might have an idea that is better than theirs.

Aside from that, I think the health care bill just pushed through by the skin of its teeth doesn't go nearly far enough in supporting and protecting its citizens' right to fully provided health care. But I do feel that any progress is positive and that this is only the first step - in hopefully a long line of revisions - that will give every family a chance to be treated without fear of being turned away for pre-existing conditions and without fear of potential bankruptcy.

Really - does that sound so bad?


Note: I like this article in the Christian Science Monitor which offers plainspeak about what the health care bill represents. Click here.

*paragraph cut and pasted right out of my comment in her post, because after writing it once jetlag wouldn't allow my brain to re-phrase it any other way...

8 comments:

  1. Great post and welcome to the fire! Pull up a chair and grab a marshmallow.

    I think you are so right in your comment that it is more about the political fight and not letting the party in power win anything (and both parties play that game). Much of it is political posturing and betting on how people will vote in the upcoming elections etc. I think that is the issue for politicians anyway. I do think with the fear strategies, terminology used, and outright lies the terms politicians use to talk about healthcare do make many ordinary Americans adopt anti-health care views (socialism, death panels, rationing of care).

    I love the point your mentor made, I have heard it in the realm of education before... that being impartial is a bit of a myth and that not taking a stance is a stance in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely put... and change isn't bad only because it is change. This has the potential to help a lot of people and to fix some problems we already have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change IS hard but it's nothing in comparison to going bankrupt, becoming homeless or being unable to get life saving treatment because you're uninsured.
    There are many imperfections in this new law but I hope it gets a chance to grow, develop and yes change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly wish I was smart enough to understand the bill a little better. I've tried, but I'm still not exactly sure how it's going to change the healthcare and how much it's really going to cost.

    This is what I do know - I would gladly pay more taxes if everybody in the US could get access to quality healthcare. In a country as wealthy as this one - it just seems fair.

    I'm not sure if the current bill is really going to "fix" the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right that this is not about health care, because if it were, every single person in this country would be for it. All of us have been hurt by out-of-control medical costs and awful insurance companies. It seems to be about a desire to destroy the Obama presidency, and I'm afraid to think what that is rooted in.

    Speaking of political debates, my last conversation with my dad (an anti-health reform Repub) ended with him yelling at me and hanging up about a month ago. Just last night, I thought of a perfect retort to his ranting about the deficit. (When we were spending billions in Iraq and it became obvious that the whole justification for the war was a lie, my dad never mentioned the cost of the war and told me that most people "don't care" whether Bush made up the WMDs. Now, he says the US is going to become a third-world economy if we spend some money to make sure all people can get medical treatment.) I am dying to call him now, but it's really not worth arguing with that faction. They are crazed and hateful, full of false facts and bravado, and completely unwilling to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, read this about how the Republicans have become the party of angry white men. It's great. http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/house-of-anger/

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a Canadian, living in Canada, I hesitated to post on this volatile topic, but with my sister's encouragement I thought I would say something - quietly. ;-)

    Our system is not perfect, and opponents of the U.S. healthcare reform have really played up some of the weaknesses during the ongoing debates. However, I am also a single mother of 2 young daughters and I have to say that it brings me absolute peace of mind to know that I can see a doctor whenever I need to to gain access to healthcare (major or minor) for them. My youngest daughter experienced some more significant issues when she was five and within days we were referred to the top children's hospital here, and she received surgery and three years of excellent follow-up care automatically, without question, and I never needed to worry about where the $ for payment would come from.

    I wish that peace of mind for every person out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heart you for this. You haven't just said yes or no. You've really thought it through...as often happens with people who stay out of first-round discussions. We could all use a little more thinking time, a little less arguing time.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails