Sunday, March 21, 2010
well that was weird
This morning I woke up in a hotel room on the 37th floor of smoggy Shanghai, kissed my mother and father and nieces and sister good-bye and got on an airplane sitting next to a businessman who never let me take a turn with the armrest. And this morning again thanks to the wonders of the international date line and thousands of miles all of a sudden I'm on the other side of the Pacific clutching a cup of coffee in my kitchen looking out the window at my green green moss-covered boulder in the backyard and a whole day was gained somehow.
The third load of laundry is in, and I'm starting to feel the wobble from within of a body that thinks it is in REM sleep but can't can't can't wants but just can't succumb to sleep for at least another six or seven hours until it's somewhere close to bedtime in this timezone.
And I want to snack incessantly because my stomach doesn't know if it's breakfast lunch or dinner.
I think I'll stick to toast and cheese, although I'm sure somewhere in the timezone I was in 15 hours ago some would think a nice yak meat pie would be scrumptious at tea time.
Good night? Good day? I'm back but not really but will return once the fog has lifted. To my family and our travel companions, I miss you desperately already.
(no annje I didn't eat chicken feet either, but I think I inadvertently ate some 100 year old egg.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Welcome back! Yak-meat pie--is it really Yak meat? Hey that 100 year old egg actually sounds worse than chicken feet. (Note to self: always go with the chicken feet.)
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear more... I mean, I can wait... until you are rested and full of cheese and toast...
Welcome home!
ReplyDeletePlay date?
I did not miss you at all :0)
what?! you didn't eat the chicken feet? c'mon, we'll go get some here...glad you made it back safely and hope you're deep into your rem sleep right now! a is good and can't wait to see you all. hope you brought back some of that yak meat pie for us to try...
ReplyDeleteWelcome back!! Glad you made it home safe and sound. Can't wait to see your sis in person to hear all about the stuff she couldn't blog about, and of course to see more pic's!
ReplyDeleteI was presented with chicken feet at one meal. I considered it even though - y'know - it looked like chicken FEET, and then a friend on the trip said they're sinewy and crunchy and I just had to say no to the feet.
ReplyDeleteheavy sigh -- can relate to it all -- love the part about clutching the coffee cup...
ReplyDeletehave had a topsy turvy day --- both of us ---
can't believe it ever happened --
but glad it all did
LAUGH OUT LOUD...a 100 year old egg? I know that feeling of bedtime limbo. I managed to hold out until 5:30pm before crashing in London. Pretty good, no :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're back safe! I hope you had a great time :)
ReplyDeletewhat a strange sensation that must be. be well traveler :)
ReplyDeleteLove the pic of poor, tired Sweetpea.
ReplyDeleteSadly I have never had jet-lag. This post makes me slightly terrified of it.
Welcome back! Loved reading the tales from abroad, and ready to get back to moseying.
I always hate crash landing back into my real life after a trip. I hope you get sorted out soon.
ReplyDelete