www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Monday, March 29, 2010

china: the people


Tai Chi in Guilin, Guangxi Province

As with any international travel, there's always a mental adjustment required when embracing a culture different than our own. I so often read about or see folks who, when traveling, expect to find the people/food/practices similar to what they are familiar with at home. The sooner we can accept that it's us that need to fit in with the country we're visiting, travel becomes so much more enjoyable.

Some of the highlights of our trip directly related to the people. There was the woman who in halting yet beautifully accented English asked where I was from and when I told her, clasped my hands and simply said "Welcome". (right outside some of the squat toilets we became VERY familiar with over the course of the trip)

There were the children at a primary school in Hefei where we were fortunate to watch the students' morning exercise...



...and then sit in on a Grade 5 classroom lesson (50:1 student/teacher ratio). The students were studying Helen Keller that day. They read in perfect unison from their texts with admirable attention on their work.





When we were able to interact with them they were just as giggly and exuberant and curious as any fifth grader in the U.S. or Canada. They posed for pictures (V for peace!), wanted to talk about our cameras and ask about how old our kids were, and wanted us to sign autographs. I would have loved to stay longer and sit down with my brown-jacketed friend below whose grin I couldn't resist.





There were the toddlers we visited at an orphanage in Dingyuan who looked at the foreigners suspiciously at first, especially the tall ones with blonde hair, and then slowly started responding to our kids reaching out to them. My niece found one little boy lying in bed who didn't seem responsive until she touched his hand and then he laughed with a smile as big as the sky. We were later told he was blind and may have Down Syndrome. My niece stayed very close to him during almost our entire visit. Even though we couldn't speak each other's languages, our smiles and touches were universal, and they blew us kisses as we left.





Then there were our guides. Ma Rui was with us for almost the entire two weeks and she is like family. She was our guide in 2000 when my older niece joined our family and on a subsequent trip that my sister took. Our regional guides were not only knowledgeable but compassionate and helpful (with only one exception). And patient, given the age range of the kids we were travelling with - Sweetpea being the youngest.


Ma Rui with Sweetpea, Shanghai.


Ma Rui and Becky, Li River


Erin and Sweetpea, teary-eyed goodbye at the airport in Hefei.

The only slightly less than positive aspect of our interactions, and it's only a matter of perspective and a very few instances, was the sometimes almost aggressive desire to photograph Sweetpea by some Chinese tourists because of her fair skin and honey hair. After one episode where she was peacefully enjoying an ice cream cone and was touched and gripped by the arm to be in a photo with a woman's children, Sweetpea became upset and rightly so.


Piled Silk Hill, Guilin

My only desire was to protect her and I often felt stressed on her behalf and I'm sure that this translated to her. English hubby was much more able to be gracious than I - he established that if people asked nicely, and also didn't touch her, then if Sweetpea felt comfortable we would allow a picture. And he would laugh and turn the camera back on them or insert himself into their photo, which often defused the situation.


Elephant Trunk Hill, Guilin

On the whole, people were respectful and lovely to us, and I hope in the future when we're travelling, I'll be able to react in a more relaxed way (although I will always be a mumma bear) and help Sweetpea be at ease as well. In the end, she was a trooper and she helped me try to be one too.

6 comments:

  1. Great post and lovely perspective on travel. It must have been a little difficult for sweetpea to be the object of so much odd attention. I think I would have had the momma-bear protective reaction too. I am glad Ehub could difuse some of the tension.

    Are you feeling back to normal yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also menat to mention how lovely it was to see empathy/caring among the children in our group. One of the 13 year olds who is also fair/honey coloured hair experienced the same thing as Sweetpea on our last trip. When it happened the first time, I watched her go speak to S. about it and how it feels.

    Children watching out for each other is an amazing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I'm in total withdrawal from this trip -- it really does feel like it was a dream.

    Your tribute to the people was so heartfelt. I've got a "children of China" post ruminating in my head which leads me to my next point....

    I feel guilty about the number of pictures I have of Chinese chidren and babies from our travels -- I didn't ask to take their pictures -- wonder if their parents felt as you did...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, AM. And I think there's a level of awareness with photography we all need to have. If you pointed a camera at someone and they obviously glared or looked unhappy, you wouldn't take the picture. English hubby, in his wanderings, saw many amazing photo opportunities and when he would ask to take a photo, would sometimes get a yes, but more often the person would say no or turn away.

    It can be both a way of bringing the subject and photographer together, or can feel like an invasion. We just need to be sensitive and respectful in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post! Thank you for stopping by HFTS and leaving a comment. Your video of Sarah Oliver is excellent and I appreciate that you and Sarah allowed me to post it on my site. I've added myself as a follower to your site. I'll be back for more visits to see your wonderful photography.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails