www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Monday, October 25, 2010

being inspired

Yesterday, in the middle of our first downpour of the season, I was lucky enough to take part in Andrea's (of hulaseventy) Through the Viewfinder workshop in San Francisco.   Yes, even though it was raining. And we were supposed to be doing a photo walk. In the Mission. In a downpour. With wild wind. I think I might have even seen the wicked witch of the west blow through once or twice.

Thankfully, we were working out of a studio for the most part and when we did go outside, we would leap from one doorway to another to try and grab a few photos.

I haven't been able to say this about many things lately... but I had FUN.  (I did!)  The workshop included making a cardboard contraption to fit our twin lens reflex cameras, and let me tell you a roomful of grownups with tape and scissors and cardboard channels the glee of craft-time in kindergarten.  Then we spread out through the studio and hallways and stairwells, and ultimately outside, to test our abilities to look down through two lenses, one of which reverses the image like a mirror further confusing how to aim at what you're shooting.




The day was inspiring, Andrea was inspiring, my fellow photographers were inspiring.  I really have no excuse not to be conquering my fears and blues and yanking myself out of the limbo I've been in recently, especially on top of the daily inspiration I've been soaking in from my fellow muses, whose artistry and spirit daily lift my own.

This week on Mortal Muses we've been musing on INSPIRATION, and having daily giveaways.  Today I posted on a familiar theme - putting on my shoes and getting out the door so that inspiration has a chance to happen.  Please visit and leave a comment on any post this week to have a chance to win.

 + + + + + + + + + +

ADDENDUM:
This was re-posted on Mortal Muses with a little more detail about the TtV technique, if you're interested in understanding the process better...

14 comments:

  1. I have no idea what a twin relfex (sp?!) camera is, but it does sound like you had a fun time. Now I want to get all crafty! Great images - hope you feel better soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your workshop seems like time well spent. Weird morning today... Time to get my shoes on. Sometimes I need a little push. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun workshop!

    I loved your post at MM - right after I read it, I put on my shoes and went out in the snow to capture a photo of the snow clinging to the last of the flowers. A shot I'd been thinking about but was too lazy to go after until I read your post. A bit thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Independent adult fun and a craft!
    Love the pear and the pic of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this!! Now I am inspired! We will have to use this for Team-UP! Go Team TTV! Remember my picture of Kyle taken kinda like this? Wishing I didn't use that camera as a giveaway. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, NOW I get the photo on Picture Fall...sounds like you had a blast...and love the photo of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the photos are so fun, i've never really used a twin reflex lens. and i am with jamie, i love your post at MM on just putting my shoes on and getting out =)
    p.s. my husband jumped up from his chair as soon as i said, oh mosey is canadian - he is canadian and gets interested right away when i mention canadian photographers...how bias lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun, inspiring class! These photos are wonderful! I can remember using a twin lens reflex camera for my first photography class when I was a college student in 1972:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Twin reflex! Never heard of that before. Sounds like you had a whale of a time and your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool! I love the pear and the round bicycle racks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love that first photo. like a still from a Woody Allen movie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pear was my favorite too. I have no idea how you make a lens from a box, but I'm really glad that you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. loved your post on mortal muses, can't believe I haven't seen your blog before but it's fantastic and so interesting and you have such great pictures and posts.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails