Oh you people and your pressures to make resolutions and plans and carpe diems at this time of year. Okay, so it's January 20th and the time for resolutions was three weeks ago. I will not conform.
Except I will when I can re-phrase it for myself in terms of finding a mantra to repeat desperately when momentum is slow and life tips off balance and inspiration becomes necessity. A word to remind me.
I toyed with phrases like "just do it" or "shit or get off the pot", but grabbing advertising taglines or admonishments from my grandmother didn't seem quite genuine, even if the sentiment was appropriate. I pondered "passion" as a way to describe my desire to throw myself wholeheartedly into opportunities that I might shy away from out of fear or lack of confidence in the past.
I finally decided on embrace.
I will embrace fear and vulnerability and jump in with both feet. I will embrace colour and pattern and not wear black every single day. I will nod and say YES to opportunities that will help me grow creatively and personally. I will continue to embrace my mosey. I will embrace the word NO when it is a healthy choice for me and my family. And yes, I will embrace my daughter and my husband and my family and my friends to show them how grateful I am to have them in my life.
Happy 2012. Three weeks late. I will embrace procrastination when warranted.

Kim--wonderful post. Funny how picking a word is so much less confining and guilt ridden than making resolutions that one will probably never keep...
ReplyDeleteEmbrace was my word for 2011...it was a good word for me--saw me through much change (both good and bad) and really inspired me to grab hold of my creativity. I hope it dies the same for you.
great word!
ReplyDeleteI will embrace you, dear friend, when I see you next...soon! xoxo
ReplyDeletelaughed out loud at shit or get off the pot. embrace is a tad bit more elegant!
ReplyDeletegreat word!
ReplyDeleteperfect.
ReplyDeleteyes!! I chose embrace last year and it was very good to me :) so happy you joined in! and yes to color!!!
ReplyDeletex
excellent word my friend! now go shit or get off the pot!
ReplyDeleteGood for you... Not easy I know. I think your word will serve you well xxxx
ReplyDeleteLove it. (And that shirt! I want it!)
ReplyDeleteThat's a wonderful word! After a year of self-doubt, sometimes even self-loathing, I've decided to be gentler on myself. Just be. Not judge good or bad. I will embrace the moment. Thank you for providing clarity! xo
ReplyDeleteYes!! Embrace your mosey. You are wonderful as you are! I've been meaning to email you too... we're coming to SF for Spring Break - do you live close enough we could get together?
ReplyDeleteI love that you are embracing the procrastinator along with the mosey:)
ReplyDeleteEmbrace was my word for 2011 too...a wonderful focus for each day...
Kim, I love it that you aren't going to wear black all the time. I need some encouragement to do that too...great word too! xxx
ReplyDeleteLate resolutions are the ones you actually keep! I love yours, & I'm sure you'll be great at it. I need to make the same one... :)
ReplyDeleteThat was inspirational! You always seem to give me insight and the will to push on :) Thanks.
ReplyDeleteExcellent word for the year. I should take that one on myself...
ReplyDelete