Tuesday, November 9, 2010
affirmation, of sorts
Someone wrote me an email recently saying how much she likes the name mosey along - that it conjured up a pace for her that she loves and adheres to herself.
And it got me thinking. It really does define who I am. It was a lucky URL grab when I first started this blog, and I joked in the sidebar how as a child my Dad called me Speedy Gonzales and it was not because I was speedy. And my Mum always tells me how they were waiting the entire day I was born - I was in no hurry even then. I was always the last one at the dinner table, pushing my peas around my plate long after everyone else was excused.
It's an apt name. When I have to rush, when there is no time to mosey, I'm a stress-case. My stomach hurts, my heart palpitates. I need slow. I just do. And apparently so does my daughter. When I'm rushing her to get ready for school in the morning, I get impatient and frustrated and I think it's because I'd rather be sitting on the couch and reading a book with her as we used to do first thing in the morning - she with a sippy cup of warm milk, me with a hot tea or coffee. The days I love most are when we don't have a schedule - when there is time to wander. Time to let my brain be empty of lists and tasks and places to be.
I occasionally label myself lazy, but that's not it. I can be extremely productive, I'm a great multi-tasker, I'm talented and I can get the job done. On a deadline even. But I do it better if there is space surrounding it to mull and dream and .... mosey.
As I've alluded to over the past months, this has been a challenging year. I've had health issues with which I've been doing a good job NOT coping - mentally, emotionally, physically - and it's been a long slow slide into a sometimes daily struggle to stay on an even keel. I've adopted my mantra of putting on my shoes when I need to reset my headspace, but the bigger epiphany is that I need to embrace my mosey. And maybe ultimately help my daughter embrace hers. I don't want her to grow up feeling inadequate if she operates at a different speed than those around her. I know how that feels.
So forthwith, I'm embracing my mosey.
There may not be hairpin turns at breakneck speed, but I can live with great views and breaks along the way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Awesome, awesome post! Embrace that mosey, and that of your daughter. Imagine how much better she will feel, living life at her natural speed, along with you!
ReplyDeleteInsightful and beautifully phrased reflection. I want so much to carve out time to JUST BE, esp. with my girls, and try, TRY to create that time... but it isn't easy. Hard too when your "mosey" speeds are set differently on the same day. Such an art to this worthy effort. Remembering the value of "moseying" is certainly a necessary medium for that art. Thanks for the reflection/reminder.
ReplyDeleteI love it when our names are so aptly fit us ...
ReplyDeleteI love your boots - every time I see you you're wearing the most killer boots.
And your mantra is so true. I really need to sit back and relax and just be. I still have an entire garden of roses to smell...
I'm so sorry you've been unwell but it sounds like you've got things in place to get yourself up and about. I love your "put your shoes on" mantra. I'm a hyper organizer and am completely unable to let myself do what I want to do (mosey!) until I've done absolutely everything else that has to be done first. Which means by the time I've finished I've reduced my mosey time and have to rush it. Isn't that stupid! I am really a ditz sometimes and need to relax into life a little more and sometimes give myself permission to mosey first and do stuff later :-)
ReplyDeleteI wish I had time to mosey. *sigh* My work does not allow it in any way, shape or form, and I think there lies the crux of my recent weeks of stress, and heart palpitations and discontent.
ReplyDeleteI think its time to rethink my own life paths and the time available for my daughters...good topic, sis!
I am a moseyer myself...I have always admired those people who get things done quickly and well. It would have been wise of me to have embraced the mosey in me when I was young...
ReplyDeletethe days i love most are when we don't have a schedule ~ when there is time to wander. time to let my brain be empty of lists and tasks and place to be.
ReplyDeletei love letting my brain be empty ...
taking my time ...
to just be ...
absorbing at my own pace ...
and moseying right along with you ...
: )
prairiegirl
What a beautiful post! I love it - embrace your mosey! I'm sorry to hear about your health issues...I've had my share and they are just the pits. Isn't it incredible how when you're healthy, you just totally take it for granted? I used to, anyway. Hope you're having a lovely day.
ReplyDeleteAwesome post! Why do we always feel we need to rush, rush. Sometimes my best ideas and periods of productivity when I can simply relax and be.
ReplyDeleteThis is exactly what I needed to read today ~ a lesson on embracing what makes you the happiest! Mosey, mosey, mosey to your heart's content because this is who you are and exactly how you should be!
ReplyDeleteLife is too frantic, and I always admire those who can just 'wander with purpose' ~ you inspire me!
I get this. I so get this.
ReplyDeleteHugs friend. Huge hugs.
ps. one thing I do and it does help...is make my girls pick out clothes the night before. Oh and what they want for lunch the next day. Doesn't always work, but mostly it does.
I love this post. I wish I were more of a moseyer--I wish I could embrace my inner mosey. I do things at a frenetic pace and get frustrated if things don't happen quickly-I have to constantly fight it. I married a moseyer and my daughter is easily distracted by her inner world and moseys quite a bit too.
ReplyDeletei will work on this. it's hard.
ReplyDeleteoh boy I too am a mosey'er. I would much rather take my time than run. it drives most people nuts. good for you to embrace your inner mosey. if it is who you are then it is one of the parts that makes you the beauty you are. hugs to you and your mosey
ReplyDelete