I thought I'd start with the master bathroom and threw some quick and dirty paint options together. If you recall, we have unpainted cabinets that needed to be addressed and some holes in the walls. As well, a tricky cathedral ceiling and an empty space intended for a medicine cabinet have left the room feeling unfinished and darn right unloved since we finished the remodel (five years ago).
Here's the current sink area.
Originally I was going to slap a coat of white paint on the cabinets and call it a day, but now I'm thinking we could use some contrast and a touch of elegance, so I'm pondering a chocolate brown stain (or paint) for the cabinets and mirror frames, and heck - maybe the valances for the blinds as well?
Next up - that tricky cathedral ceiling. It works great in our bedroom, but ends up making the much smaller bathroom feel too tall and narrow. And below on the right you'll notice the gaping hole where our builder very kindly left us an opening for a standard medicine cabinet, but which no standard medicine cabinet will fit.
First up, I've tried to come up with an idea to make the ceiling seem more of a feature - warm it up from its basic ceiling white, and give the illusion that it's a bit lower. So perhaps a molding that starts at the lowest ceiling/wall junction over the toilet, and continues around the room horizontally. Then we'd paint above it - something warm and maybe with a sheen to it, like the colour of the blinds or the misplaced picture frame above the toilet. (Love the picture, it's of my daughter, but I think a nice glass shelf with some orchids might be a nicer touch.)
Here you see the molding continue above the sink, and also a custom-built medicine cabinet with the same doors as below the sinks. Or perhaps it should just be a simple mirror?
The voting lines are open. Some good arguments for selling all this to my English husband with a mind of his own would be appreciated as well. (hi honey! you won't read the comments, right?)




I love the chocolate brown with the colour of the wall --- looks great.
ReplyDeleteI really like the dark trim and cabinets too. If you go that route, you may need to do the inside of the bathroom door and maybe re-think the colour combinations of the molding around the top of the walls and the colour above it...
ReplyDeleteIt's a good point about the ceiling trim colours. I'd probably do the cabinets/mirror first, and see if the ceiling trim in white and natural beige above it will still work. I think it will, because the rest of the trim will still be white (windows).
ReplyDeleteHear! Hear!
ReplyDeleteChocolate for sure.
And moulding for sure.
A hubby willing to do it? One.Good.Man for sure!
I really like the chocolate and I think it would look fine with the white trim. But the Door would either need to be white or chocolate.
ReplyDeleteChocolate stain on the cabinets for sure! How about an actual colour on the ceiling?
ReplyDeletePS. I'm Shauna's sister...the one in Ottawa...
thanks for all your suggestions! Alison, got an idea for a ceiling color? I kept it neutral to match the window blinds and tie in with the floor (and door/frame), but I'm open to ideas!
ReplyDeleteAnd Cupcake, I'll be doing the work although I'm sure I'll be cheered on (and supervised closely) by hubby.
I've seen some interesting rooms with dark colours like a not quite navy??? I've also seen it look good where the wall colour continues onto the ceiling that looks good with or withour crown moulding...I'll poke around to see if I can find a picture of what I mean...Have fun in Florida!
ReplyDelete