www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I see the moon and the moon sees me.



We spent the past two days at the Kennedy Space Center. The visitor's center alone was interesting,
with an IMAX 3D film...


...a rocket "garden" (and fountain!)


...and shuttle launch simulators which the little kids couldn't go on,
but they were happy to explore the retired space shuttle outside.


But it was our second day viewing the launch pads and then visiting the Saturn V/Apollo exhibit that was a thrill. I wasn't expecting to be quite as wowed as I was.



Anything interactive, the girls loved. Sweetpea spent about 20 minutes at this launch control console learning about the Apollo astronauts.


and while my 9 year old niece went on the G-force simulator ("awesome"), the younger cousins created their own mission experience.


My sister and I drank in the films and simulations of the first Apollo missions and I was captivated by the mission launch control room.


Sweetpea saluted in almost every photo.



She claimed later that she would like to be an astronaut, but that when she is not on her space missions she still wants to be an Olympic diver.

On our two and a half hour drive home, we asked the girls what they liked best. Sweetpea's response: "My favourite part was when my mouth dropped open." On being asked when her mouth dropped open: "whenever I saw something amazing".

Later however, when I told her to tell her Daddy on the phone what she had been doing, all she mentioned was that the play area at the McDonalds on our way to Cape Canaveral was closed. But she did mention as we were leaving the Space Center that she wished Daddy could have seen it with us.

She had never been to an IMAX film before, and I heard her exclaiming the whole time and reaching out to grab the air. For me the visual of my tiny girl standing under the Saturn V rocket boosters (saluting, of course) was hard to fathom.


Can I say it was incredible? There, I just did.

1 comment:

  1. Great shots of a wonderful spot -- glad you were able to make the side trip -- and that Sweetpea was well enough to enjoy it -- she blows me away with her comments. Love the patriotic salute!

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails