As I drove around the YMCA in circles attempting (in vain) to get us to Sweetpea's swimming lesson on time, looking for a parking spot closer than a mile so I wouldn't have to give her a piggy back at a dead run as I have so many other times, but trying not to verbalize my frustration as I normally do, I heard this muttering from the back seat:
"I can't believe we can't find a parking spot, why are we always late for everything, we're always late."
Straight from this horse's mouth into the mouth of my daughter. Nice going.
After swimming my Englishman called as we were heading to the car. He works right beside the Y, and wondered if we wanted to have lunch. I was trying to keep to a schedule and gulped down a moment of impatience and said sure we'll meet you.
If I hadn't, we would have missed some divine moments in unseasonable 65 degree sunshine. Hugs for Daddy, running up and down grassy hills near the Warming Hut, watching ferries go by on the Bay, and trying to build a rock sculpture (which reminds me that I really want to watch Rivers and Tides with Sweetpea sometime...).
But even after that, I didn't learn my lesson. Can you imagine?
As we tidied the house after a perfectly lovely visit with friends, my impatience reared its' ugly head yet again as I tried to hurry my daughter along so I could finish folding laundry and get dinner. And she even was trying to hum as she worked.
And then.
The Englishman came through the door and said "did you hear the owl hooting outside? Come and hear the owl!", to which Sweetpea galloped off happily (hey, I thought you were too tired to help me tidy??) so they could listen to Hooty outside in the moonlight.
Okay, okay. I get it.


Oh I LOVE this one!!! You could have been writing about my daily experiences here, but what made me laugh out loud was Sweetpea's comments about being late - THAT is priceless.
ReplyDeletehee hee
Sounds like a lovely lunch! I guess all mom's have this problem. Something, I'm really trying to work on too.
ReplyDeleteThis is my husband and I to a T. I wish I could be more laid-back. Impatient is no fun. And I am just waiting for my daughter to start mumbling things like "Where's your blinker, moron?" under her breath.
ReplyDeleteAmen.
ReplyDeleteThere's a song by Chris Rice that says:
You think I’d have it down by now
Been practicin’ for thirty years
I should have walked a thousand miles
So what am I still doin’ here
Reachin’ out for that same old piece of forbidden fruit
I slip and fall and I knock my halo loose
Somebody tell me what’s a boy supposed to do?
I can't think of a better way to describe my continual flusteration with my self. WHY doth it take so long to learn lessons I already know.
It's a blessing to have loved ones that help us stay well-rounded. And another day shining, bright and new, with 'nother tries. Eh?