My family back home are going to think I am completely and totally NUTS, but....
I want chickens. Meaning in my backyard. Pecking and clucking and ruffling their feathers indignantly. I'm probably allergic to them, but they'll be outside, right?
There will be no rooster, on that I'm firm. No cock-a-doodling at the crack of dawn. Just a couple (or three) hens to entertain us and supply us with fresh eggs. And maybe attract all the coyotes in the neighbourhood, but I'm trying to stay positive here.
Am I a total looney for even considering it? Okay yes. But there's something so appealing about the idea (and ideal) of being self-sufficient to a certain degree - thus our in-the-works veggie garden (which might be a complete and utter failure).
And when you can buy something like this to house them, and really, how cool would it be having some futuristic science-fiction style chicken coop in the backyard (they come in pink! Sweetpea would be overjoyed!), it's almost imperative to go for it. Right?
Well, maybe not. But I'm not ruling it out in future, even though English hubby just said he'd rather have a dog.
Family back home shakes their collective head with resignation.

The people who bought our Fairfax house had chickens. I thought it was so weird at the time. But lately they've been on my mind too. I'm sure our HOA would have something to say about it! I think they would be lovely in your back yard.
ReplyDeleteAre you nuts?
ReplyDeleteLovingly, your sister.
Two separate sets of my friends just got chicks. If our HOA would let us - we'd have them too.
ReplyDeleteI would love to shop at your backyard store for eggs and veggies. I say get the pink futuristic coop and go for it!
the people in the yard behind mine in brooklyn have chickens
ReplyDeleteYes to chicken! :)
ReplyDeleteI meant chickens.
ReplyDeleteI want them too.
ReplyDeleteMy mom thinks I've lost my marbles.