www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Friday, May 22, 2009

Infinity Girl

I'm being ganged up on.

I've had a few more universal truths on my mind lately, one being that parents will always hate the music their children listen to. Or vice versa. I mean, sure, we all go a little crazy in the toddler years and think we might just run over Barney if we ever saw him in a crosswalk after we've listened to "I love you, you love me" for the 723rd time.

But I thought I was still a fair distance from the pre-teen years when I will shake my head in wonder at the no doubt talentless bands my kid chooses to listen to. In reality, I have high hopes that Sweetpea will have a broad taste in music, she listens to just about anything we have on the ipod and has gone through phases of requesting the Beatles or David Bowie or Steve Miller or the English Beat. Great, right? Hopefully we'll maintain common ground musically.

But now English hubby has introduced her to Stereolab. A band of which I'm not fond. A band which until now hubby has only played at work so I don't have to be subjected to it. A band which I firmly dislike, even though I pride myself on my sweeping musical tastes. But Sweetpea loves them, and her imagination has been captured by a song called Infinity Girl.

She loves the concept of infinity right now. The symbol for it has frequently appeared in her recent drawings, and she has proclaimed herself an Infinity Girl this week. When I ask what that is, she says it's someone who thinks about numbers a lot. She proved this concept by counting up to 147 on our drive to daycare yesterday morning.



But after drawing this today, she says that in magical lands Infinity Girls are superheroes who put bad guys in jail until they say sorry. (Note the infinity symbol. And Sweetpea wants you all to know that Infinity Girl is saying "Stop Thief!")




I suppose I can live with Stereolab for now if it inspires this kind of thinking. But I'm keeping a close eye on my husband - I see that light in his eye and know he's crackling his fingers over what he's going to indoctrinate her into next.

1 comment:

  1. My niece's artwork is brilliant - love that Infinity Girl. However, I just googled Sterolab (a band I had never heard of) and sorry - yuck. Have to go with my sister on this one!

    Lianne

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails