www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Friday, May 8, 2009

Regular Everyday Sort of Day

What with the PMS, universal truths, and a work project that tested every stress-coping mechanism I possess, it's been a strange week.

But yesterday, obviously fearing imminent wifey meltdown with aforementioned frustrating project, English hubby came home early from work, booted me out of my desk chair, and we got the majority of the vegetable garden in. Just a few pots left to fill (herbs and tomatoes), and now we just sit back and watch them grow. My responsibility ends there, right? What do you mean I have to water and nurture them?

And today I woke up and all was right with the world again. Project is delivered (and hopefully will stay that way). Sweetpea and I spent the day just hanging out with each other the way we used to before life got too busy. We did some more planting, we went to a Mother's Day Tea at her school, we shopped for new shoes, we walked to the park, and we made books.

She's into writing and illustrating her own books right now. It's quite amazing to watch her sit at her table completely focused and pump out 10 pages of drawings (or however many she asks me to staple together) and when she's ready, dictate the story for me to write down.

I try to be aware that when she's ready to take on a project, I need to create the space and the time for it to happen.

I recently watched a TED video with Ken Robinson (a Brit who I don't know, but who reminds me of a funny Kenneth Branagh) on whether the school system is killing creativity in our kids. My opinion is that it depends on a lot of factors (like the school district, the teacher, the teaching philosophy, whether there is a good balance between academic and creative subjects), but it's still a good question to ponder. Would a lot of the symptoms of learning deficits be reduced if you could not only ensure that academic/creative balance exists, but diagnose an individual's strengths and play to them? As individuals, we all learn differently, and it would follow that we should be taught differently as well.

That paragraph made my brain hurt, especially since I just wanted to brag about Sweetpea's obvious brilliance and future career as an award-winning author whose success will support English hubby and I in our golden years. (She obviously takes after her Auntie L.)


Author creates and reads "The Unicorn Saves the Princess" and "The Egg That Has to Hatch".

4 comments:

  1. These are very precious moments and wonderful things to keep for Sweetpea.

    she sure is a talented little girl -- would love to hear her read one of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an educator I believe that there is a balance. I teach special ed and everyday it is a struggle for those kids to find a balance. I encourage creative projects and the love of reading and all of my parents say the kids read more at home and each of them have a doodle book for creating. I give them one for school and home. My kids also have an opportunity at free time to do an activity and most of them either create with art materials or read a book. I feel like I try to foster an environment that shares both the love of learning and the time to be creative. It is a very difficult thing as our curriculum expectations are many and a bit daunting to most kids when it is pushed down their throats because that is what the ministry says. Anyway enough of my soapbox it is a lovely day and time to get out and explore the Spring Day.

    Great job Sweetpea! Love the work you are doing!
    Take care,
    shauna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it that same project? I thought it was over!

    Your post reminds me of one I read on Soule Mama about drawing as adults and keeping our children drawing which totally inspired me.

    And Sweatpea is brilliant and super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shauna, it's because there are teachers like you that I am pleased as punch to have Sweetpea entering the public school system (although I know it's not a given, depending on where one lives...). Having to teach creatively, outside the box so to speak, must be incredibly frustrating when so often you're given a set standard you're supposed to follow.

    And TopsyTurvy, I thought it was done too. It's like a horror film, it just keeps coming back to life over and over and over.....

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails