www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Patio Project (this one's for my Dad)

My Dad loves projects and always likes to make sure we have some sort of chore for him to take on when he and my Mum come to visit. So this update is for him.

(Speaking of projects, this summer I'm hoping to tackle some of my "decorating" ideas from way back when in Design Week at Mosey House. And more. I'll plan on some Before and Afters as I get to them. If I get to them.)

Our back garden is a fairly steep hillside jungle. Over the years we've fenced it (to keep out the deer, much as we love 'em), cut trails through it, constructed a treehouse (which English Hubby built for Sweetpea, supposedly), and terraced small areas. We like the jungle feel, and now that Sweetpea is not a wobbly toddler, it's great to see her traverse every foot of it, make little areas her own, and climb the trees a little too high for my comfort. But for a while we've wanted a second patio area to capture the afternoon sun (bistro chairs and table, or lounge chair?) and have a place for big pots of herbs and citrus trees.

While we've been building and planting the vegetable garden over the past month, we've also been prepping the new patio area, excavating and leveling it. Our quarry stone was delivered this week, my husband carried all the sand and most of the stones up our stairs (I know your back hurts just thinking about it, Dad) and today we started.

It was trickier than we expected especially since both of us were running on half a night's sleep, but at the end of the day we had finished about a third of it. By next weekend we hope to finish, as well as two adjoining areas - a pathway in front of the vegetable garden wall, and replacing the stone steps leading up from our first patio.





We're completely exhausted, but feeling pretty pleased with ourselves so far.









Here's what Sweetpea kept herself busy with for most of the day, bless her, except when she would occasionally come outside to check on our progress and take a whack at some stones with the mallet.

9 comments:

  1. Wow what a great project. your yard looks amazing and can't wait to see it when it is finished. My daughter would chose to do the same thing she isn't really into the outdoors that much unless others are around to play!

    Have a great Sunday and take care of your back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to come relax on it! I love the picture of you hard at work. Great job guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hillside is certainly changing it's personality and looks great.
    While I wouldn't have enjoyed the lugging of the materials up the hill, I sure would have enjoyed the creating and laying of the stone part of it. Can't wait to see it in November
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim, you really are an inspirational daughter in law, wow! I am sure your parents are so proud of you, and by proxy so am i, and cant wait to take advantage of your new suntrap when i come to visit you hopefully very soon!
    Lots of love, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to none of the work and all of the reward when I can drink a cocktail on that beautiful patio!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SO weird - Kim, do you think we're psychically connected right now? We spent the weekend on OUR garden though nowhere near the magnitude of your project (which I love!) AND the dynamic duo have built an enormous fort in the basement with blankets and cushions too. Weird. I hope to finally update our blog and get some of the pictures posted so you can catch up with us!

    Love Lianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, who is designing the brick pattern for the patio? Curious minds want to know.

    L. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The design is based on a sample layout (about two inches square!) in the Calstone quarry stone brochure. We've had to be creative with it however, to work with our NOT 90 degree angle walls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The patio looks great so far! Looking forward to more photos.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails