www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Perspective

On Sunday, after a short string of minor incidents that left me feeling like crawling back into bed and starting the day over, this happened:


Earlier in the day, before I descended into the doldrums, we'd had friends visit for brunch and had a proper tea party, using the tea cups given to me by my mother, many of which had belonged to both my grandmothers. My paternal grandmother, whom I haven't written much about yet other than her unique recipe instructions ("beat the bejesus out of it") and predilection for giving family members their nicknames, originally owned the majority of the cups.

I'm not a collector and I don't like to accumulate things. My pockets, however, are full of little bits of leaves and and stones and pine cones from a certain six year old who joyfully fills our house with her collections as quickly as I purge them.

But I love my tea cups.



As a child, I remember when my Mum would bring them out for her afternoon Bridge tournaments and for Sunday dinners. I would gently run my finger around the rims and try to decide which was my favourite. (The blue one, always the blue one...)



A few years ago when I was visiting my family in Toronto, my mother told me to choose which ones I loved most and we carefully wrapped them in tissue and tea towels and gently put them in my carry-on. Since then, they've been tucked away in a cupboard awaiting a small display cabinet in my kitchen which is so far down my project list we may have moved before I actually install it. But they come out occasionally when I have tea devotees in the house and we all raise our pinkies to sip a nice cup of tea.

Sunday was one of those days, before things went downhill. Later, as I scowled around the kitchen tidying up, this particular cup slipped out of my hand and before it even hit the sink and arranged itself into three new pieces, I felt angry tears and a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

The issues of the day ultimately resolved themselves, and I set the broken cup aside for later repair work. It may never hold tea again, but it sure will look pretty in that future display cabinet.

Perspective gained.

And then emphasized two days later when an earthquake shook a poverty-stricken country many miles away from my solid, comfortable home and its one broken tea cup.
My charity of choice is Doctors Without Borders.

9 comments:

  1. Ahhh perspective. It's an amazing thing.

    Funny, I have a blog post partly written that leans that way too...

    Love your photos of the lovely cups - glue is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post. Perspective is so important. Something that challenges us daily as parents.

    Of course, I love the teacups. My sister and I used to fight over who would get what teacup of my mom's/grandmother's. When my mom downsized and they recently came our way, we still argued. My sister got the coveted green teacup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness -- cups of tea rules the blogs this week --

    1. me blogging about wanting to read the book Three cups of Tea

    2. Mosely recommending that I read it first of the three I'm waiting to devour (or drink up as would apply to this one)

    3. Sister of Mosey blogging about parents meeting dr. greg and neice of Mosey getting autographed copy of said book for kids.

    4. and now your blog about the lost cup...

    all signs for us to appreciate all we have - the moments to be able to read a book, to even have a book to read, the resources to meet an author, homes to house our cups.

    we are all blessed and I'm sad when I need reminding of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, perspective... it does make you reassess... there are no words to describe what has happened in Haiti. Looking at footage just makes me shudder.

    ...but I think it is still ok to mourn (momentarily) for your cup (and the blue one is beautiful)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right about perspective but I am sorry you lost a teacup. :0(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm sorry such a special thing to you was broken! That is unfortunate. I'm glad you have a good perspective though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was getting ready to leave a comment ENTIRELY IN CAPS LOCK because it had been over a week since you posted and how dare you have a life other than that which we can read about?! ;)

    I'm sorry about your teacup. I'm particularly attached to a yellow bowl from my grandmother, and would have to mourn it if it were damaged in any way.

    Which feels so trivial and stupid when people are losing their lives, homes and families in Haiti...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that hurts, it's not just the cup, it's the connection lost a little, I think, the idea of holding something that someone else held dear.

    But, yes, perspective is a good thing. I am gaining it, with a little sleep, even about my lovely parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favourite things to do with stuff that gets broken or otherwise changes shape is to turn it into something else. It is difficult to detach and throw something out, difficult to accept that once it changes shape it still holds the same memories, but it can. Perhaps you can turn your cup into a planter for african violets or some other small plant? Or you can break it into even more pieces and imbed it in the concrete of your patio or somewhere in your garden?

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails