www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Friday, February 12, 2010

valentine muddle



I was going to post about our valentine-making project this week which took three days to complete.

And how Sweetpea had very clear ideas about how she wanted them to look while I passive-aggressively tried to steer the project. And how I finally sat back and let her do them the way she wanted and had to listen while she proclaimed how hard she was working and how she has to do everything herself and how tiring all this valentine-making was. Even though I bought the supplies and did most of the cutting and sat with her the entire time to keep her from getting distracted.



And how writing her name and those of her classmates 20 times took about an hour and a half because she had to stop for a popcorn snack (because she was so tired), and then do some sort of creative crossing-off-of-the-list as she worked which required drawing boxes around each of her classmates' names with some sort of random number and colour system. I'm still trying to figure it out.



All this even though English hubby and I don't really celebrate Valentine's Day because we're too cheap, and maybe because he still rightfully resents that 13 years ago when we were dating I went to Hawaii with a friend and it happened to coincide with Valentine's Day. He promises never to let me forget it.

So while in the end I did post about our valentine project if you've been following along with this ramble, and while it was more enjoyable than I actually made it sound....



...what I really want to post about is how overwhelmingly grateful I am for my mother whom I adore. She walked away from a car accident yesterday with bruises and minor injuries, after being run off the road and into a tree. The airbag deployed, the windows shattered, and the car is a write-off. But she is cheerful and grateful for the nice police officers and paramedics at the scene, and the man who phoned 911 and even the apologetic person in the other car whose fault it was.

And although it sucks beyond belief to be 3,000 miles away from my family, I'm grateful that my sister and my Dad were there for her while I sat here wringing my hands helplessly. And as my sister mentioned on her blog, she found our Mum in the ER carefully keeping her shoes off the bedsheets which made me laugh and demonstrates where our mother's priorities lie. Cracked ribs and bruises? Bah. Let's not dirty the sheets if it's not necessary.

Happy Valentine's Day, Mum. I love you.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your Mom is okay! I freaked out when I learned my mom had an accident in the ocean while on vacation that badly injured her neck and left huge bruises and a gaping gash in her cheek. It sucks to be so far away and theres nothing you can do.

    Cute valentines! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad your mom is ok. It is hardest to be far at those moments.

    Those valentine's are so sweet. Sweetpea did a great job (you too!) I am kind of relieved that G is home this year, so we are taking a year off the valentines--I am still exhausted from all of last year's V-day craftiness anyway ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO happy to hear your Mom is OK Kim ... I'm sure you just want to give her a big squeeze right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your house sounds so much like our house when it comes to valentine projects. I'm always hearing "I'm so tiiirrreeedd!

    So sorry about your mom. Very scary for you. But I love the description of her keeping her feet off the bed. She is such a lovely woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank heaven she's okay! I live far from my family as well, and can imagine your anguish as you waited for word.

    Oh, and the story of three-days-to-make-valentines totally cracked me up. Kids are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh sweetie! Your poor momma. I did laugh out loud about the feet off the sheets though.
    I hope you're doing OK - oh for a teleporter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the Valentine cards. It brought our Sweetie close--sounds just like her. We didn't send one to her, will make up for it when we see you in China. Thanks for all your concern. I am so grateful to God, my family, friends and all the beautiful people who looked after me. Even the tow truck driver asked me to call to let him know I was okay. It was an experience and my only regret is "no wheels of my own". Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mother sounds adorable...so glad she's okay (and that you too survived the dreaded making of Valentine's cards).

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails