www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Friday, May 21, 2010

appropriate apparel

(Say that ten times fast...)

I do try to let go of my (control freak) reins occasionally when it comes to parenting. Don't sweat the small stuff, pick your battles, blah blah blah. My current challenge is ensuring that Sweetpea is dressing "appropriately" for whatever activity is on the schedule, while giving her leeway to have some sense of choice.

When Sweetpea was a toddler she didn't care what she wore - I would pull an outfit out of the drawer and she would put it on, no questions asked. Now that she is six, she is a little (a lot) more opinionated. She is currently going through a cycle of wanting to wear a skirt every single day. At school, if she wants to wear a skirt, then my rule is she needs to wear leggings underneath. Her classmates are all into doing upside-down flips on the monkeybars at the moment and it's just not so cute anymore to flash the rest of the student population. When I first mentioned it, she said "but I don't mind if they see my underwear". Which brought up a whole separate conversation about our private parts and where and when it is appropriate to touch (gah!) or have them on display (never. I plan to put her in a convent on lockdown when she reaches puberty until she's at least 21.). But that's a whole other post.

Along with school, she also knows that for sports or weekend hikes on the trails she needs to wear running shoes and shorts or track pants or what have you. This has caused its own controversy since one of her soccer teammates wears a princess skirt and a tiara at practice every week. Which then of course leads to the conversation about what's right for one family isn't necessarily right for ours. Do these parenting conundrums never END? It's exhausting, for crying out loud.

I'm not helped in these matters by English hubby who told her she looked terrific when we were ready to head out for a hike last weekend and she showed up at the door wearing her favourite dress. She was wearing hiking boots at least. In the interest of getting out the door before nightfall I swallowed my opposition and grumbled inwardly for an hour or two.

You can imagine her delight this week when we got to soccer practice after school and I realized I'd forgotten her soccer clothes at home. She's never going to let me live it down.


Shin guards may just be the next new trend in fashion.


5 comments:

  1. I know it's not helping but she does look great :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a little girl, but I remember what I was like. Uh oh... Brace yourself. When I was a teen I recall hearing my mother's "isn't that a bit risqué" during most of our arguments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to know where to draw the line, when to hold your ground and when to give in. It has been a big struggle for me (as an admitted control-freak) and there are times when I carry on an entire internal dialogue about whether or not to keep insisting and whether it is really that important. My hubs and I are a good team with this sometimes. He'll gently remind me to slow down, that if they eat dinner a little later, they won't perish; and I tell him that it is not that cold, who cares if they splash in the puddles, their shoes will dry out.
    I am totally with you on the skirts on the playground, flipping upside down and underwear argument. For soccer and hiking? she may realize herself that skirts aren't entirely appropriate for certain activities, or skirts may be the perfect soccer attire (with shorts on underneath, of course)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skirts/dresses are just so much cuter! As an adult, wearing skirts is a rarity these days, but as a child, I loved wearing them as much as Sweetpea and my girl. Now that she wears a jumper school uniform everyday to school, it is part of the uniform to wear shorts under the jumper, even over tights. It makes life so much easier and solves the issue of any panty peek-a-boos...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Scottish Lass: you are evil and must be stopped.
    @Denise: Me too. My mother's despairing comments usually were "You're not going outside in that, are you?" (sorry Mum, but you know it's true. Luckily for you in about six years I'll be saying it to your granddaughter and you can laugh at me all you like...)
    @Annje: I think I'm mellowing. Except when I'm sleep-deprived and cranky and then I must win the argument at any cost.
    @ceebits: I just want her to wear jeans and a t-shirt every single day. Is that too much to ask?? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails