www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

insomnia and polaroids



This week I have allergy-induced insomnia. I wake up at 2 a.m., meditate for an hour or two trying to get back to sleep, finally get up to read a book on the couch and eventually fall asleep about half an hour before it's time to get up.

As you can imagine, I am a delight to be around and my conversational skills are stellar. Not to mention my attempts at blogging. I must have about 10 half-started posts that range anywhere from vaguely lucid to completely incomprehensible.

To give you a glimpse inside my head, my middle of the night attempts at returning to blissful sleep end up something like this:

One..... two...... three......
Relaxing toes....
Four..... five..... six....
Relaxing ankles....
Seven... eight..... What?
Oh the coyotes are howling, that's cool....
Seven.... eight.... nine....
I need to figure out how to build more functionality into that DVD menu for the client...
What number was I at again?

Seven.... eight.....
Did I lay out Sweetpea's clothes for the morning? She's always so slow getting ready if her clothes aren't ready to jump into....
Eight.... nine....
Relaxing knees....
My knee is itchy.
The ending of that book I finished today really pissed me off. I need a good book.
I wonder if I should go to the library tomorrow.
No I don't have time because of my work deadline.
Nine... ten....
Maybe I should get up and do some work.

You can see my problem. English hubby has taught Sweetpea how to meditate herself to sleep and I am somewhat disgruntled that she does it better than I do.

Tonight I intend to get all ready for bed, teeth brushed and jammies on, before Lost starts at 9:00. I feel certain that I will be fast asleep before it's over and I'm hoping English hubby feels up to the task of carrying me to bed so I don't have to walk up the stairs myself.



Today's pictures brought to you by my cellphone during an after school outing with my well-rested daughter. I used the nifty "Poladroid" tool in support of the cool kids shooting real polaroids for 'Roid Week on Flickr.

12 comments:

  1. I wish I had the patience to meditate. I am sure that is the whole point... but I know I'd be jumping up to finish something or start something and it would defeat the purpose.

    Now I want to know what book you were reading... I am reading a fascinating book right now, I'll try to post on it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED your post! That is exactly the kind of thing that runs through my head....way too often!!

    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this polaroid thing - how do you do that?

    And that is how my mind works all the time, even when I am supposedly rested and awake...oh dear, you mean not everyone thinks like that? hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm right when I say there are millions of women out there just like you when it come to sleep/meditation. Your attempts at returning to blissful sleep are SO similar to what mine would be. It take me usually no less than 30 min to fall asleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Lianne, you can download the Poladroid tool and try it out (see link in last paragraph). Drag and drop a photo onto it (once it's installed), and wait for it to magically develop.... neato!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures as usual!! Sorry to hear about your insomnia ... it's brutal! And I find the more I tell myself to relax, the more awake I am. I'm finding the insomnia is happening more and more, the older I get too. Age is a wonderful thing. *grin* Just regarding your allergies ... as a fellow sufferer (mine is hayfever), have you ever tried prescription nose spray? A neighbour mentioned this to me about 4 years ago, and I am forever in her debt!! Not sure why my doctor never thought of this, but whatever. After suffering horribly for years (every "first day of school picture" of me shows me with red swollen eyes), I can now live normally through hayfever season! It truly is a godsend. The spray is non-addictive too so no big deal stopping when the season is over. I don't have to take any of the allergy pills anymore either which is great! Depending on the brand, some make me feel jittery while others make me lethargic. Hated them! The nose spray doesn't cause either thankfully. Just a thought for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same types of thoughts dart around when I am having trouble getting to sleep. This might seem funny, but I put my hands on my stomach (oh-so-gently) and totally concentrate on my breathing--just simple easy natural breathing, no big inhales and exhales or anything of the sort. It's worth a try... Your daughter is so adorable and well rested. I think I need a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you hop on over to my blog and scroll back to Wednesday, you will see a post for you. :) You inspired me. I hope you have a lovely Mother's Day with your daughter. Tam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for the 2nd post but I just had a good laugh... I realized that you replaced the headstones on your blog header. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a fellow insomniac, I love this post. I suck at meditating and I am the queen of ridiculous late night worries. May you sleep well tonight, happy mother's day.

    PS The Moonflower Vine. Awesome book. Just finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous header! your blog is a delight. funny post about insomnia and trying to calm that monkey mind!! good luck. they say it has an accumulative effect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the polaroids! Polaroid colors intrigue me always. And...about your insomnia...it must just be something...my husband is going through a spell of it, too. If I have a hard time going to sleep, I use my imagination to make my body "melt" into my bed starting at my toes and working my way up to my head. I usually always fall asleep before I even remember thinking about "melting" anything past my knees. Much luck your way.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails