white spider and calla lily, originally uploaded by à la mosey.
This little arachnid is living in a calla lily right outside our door at the moment. Sweetpea is fascinated and checks morning and evening to see if it's still there and dragged me away from making dinner last night to take a photograph.
Although we joke about how our children will probably be our opposites as they mature - wanting to move themselves away from their parents physically and spiritually and (gulp) politically - I'm hoping that Sweetpea's intense fascination with nature and the environment and her innate desire to crouch down and see what's happening at ground level will persevere. Plus her enthusiastic (and possibly occasionally off-putting?) penchant for asking every cashier and random person on the street "Have you heard about climate change?".
Stay tuned for an upcoming guest post from Sweetpea on this topic.
Friday, May 28, 2010
live and let live
Spiders and other creepy-crawlies love our house. This is mostly because English hubby gently captures and releases them into the wild (where they have to fend for themselves) although the fact that we rarely vacuum the ceilings probably has something to do with it too. When we first moved into our house, there was a gargantuan orb spider living in a corner of the patio where its web was constantly in danger of us tearing it. E-hub built a wooden frame around the web to protect it, on which I banged my head too many times to count.
When Sweetpea was three and playing with our neighbour's son in the garden, she watched with round eyes as he kicked, squished and stomped every living thing he could find. When she told me about it later, I reminded her that she should feel comfortable telling her friends that we don't do that at our house. Deliberately, anyway. And the rules don't count if it's an ant trail making it's way toward the pantry. Then all bets are off. But you don't get into the grey areas with a three year old. A few months later I heard her hollering at the same friend "We don't DO THAT HERE!!!".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

*sigh*
ReplyDeleteI am all for defending and enjoying nature in all its glory - when it stays outside my 4 walls. If it comes inside though, all is fair game as far as I am concerned and I really don't have one ounce of guilt in depositing them without delay into the porcelain escape hatch (if you know what I mean).
UNFORTUNATELY, your english hubby has completely converted my children so that they will not allow this type of insect removal...if they know about it. And thus, my insect sweeps must be done with clandestine swiftness.
;-)
I love seeing how my daughter is so gentle, even reverent with life-forms (my son too, but not as much--he'll stomp occasionally ;-). We are pretty respectful too and make a point to model that, though I draw the line at fire ants and the occasional creepy spider that I do NOT want to try to capture in a cup.
ReplyDeleteOh, and my kids are allowed to rebel in any way they'd like, as long as they remain politically liberal (haha--nervous laughter)
I can't wait to see the Sweetpea climate change post!
ReplyDeleteI wrote about spiders a while back (July 2008).
...if you are curious http://chezdanisse.blogspot.com/2008/07/charlotte-and-her-webs.html
PS--Your photo is exquisite. I've never seen such a pretty spider.
ReplyDelete@Lianne: I'm filing away "clandestine swiftness" for a time when I need such a stellar phrase.
ReplyDelete@Annje: Remember Alex P. Keaton?
@Denise: I've had to grow to appreciate spiders too. (except in the shower)
if all of God's creatures looked like works of art -- like your little white spider on the cala lily -- then I'd be with you.
ReplyDeleteWow what a beautiful picture and a white spider to boot. I have never seen one of those before. I too try as best as I can to catch and release and remind my daughter and now my dog who loves to torture the ants and bugs outside to leave it! What a nice post and Sweetpea is really turning into a wonderful little girl who knows we need to protect our earth!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely visual - no not the photo (although that is a lovely visual) i mean Sweatpea asking her question.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I love the concept and appreciate the thought behind it, I have to agree with Lianne about the 'porcelain escape hatch.' On the other hand, I would call myself an avid 'go green' advocate, so now I have the guilt that I have been destroying God's little creatures....sigh....
ReplyDeleteAs a result of your post, I am going to try my best to not be the fanatic eight-legged squisher I normally am, but to find the beauty in spiders...yikes!!
I hope Maelyn likes 'pretty' bugs, like ladybugs....hehe!
So, so wonderful. We're passionate non-stompers, too. Though I have to confess we let them take it out on the carpenter ants.
ReplyDeleteThis is gorgeous. :)