www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Sunday, May 23, 2010

picasso and michael jackson

Sweetpea and English hubby got the pastels out yesterday to start practicing for the upcoming chalk festival. Along with a very cute gopher and a stylish monkey, Sweetpea channelled one of her favourite artists and produced this little masterpiece:


The Lady in the Mirror, by Sweetpea. (Ode, perhaps, to this painting.)

She had no visual reference, other than having seen Picasso's work in an art gallery and having looked at some of his paintings in a book at school.

Then I woke up this morning to read the news that some thugs (and I do mean thugs) had burst into a man's house in Marseilles, knocked him down and ran off with some of his paintings, including this one. This just after some works by Picasso and other artists were cut right out of their frames from the Modern Art Museum in Paris. Hopefully the thieves will soon be found and have their butts kicked. Given that iconic art could never be sold on the open market, why they bothered is beyond me. Idiots.

And speaking of icons (well, I sort of was...), we watched "This Is It", the documentary about the development of Michael Jackson's last tour before his death. If you haven't seen it, you should. I've never owned a Michael Jackson album, but I certainly appreciated him for the icon he became and could probably sing most of his hits just from hearing them on the radio and seeing his videos on MTV. If that final tour had happened, it would have been a mind-blowing piece of showmanship. He still had it, the moves, the voice, the ideas. Whether you liked his music or not, or even whether you believed the accusations against him, he had talent that might not be matched in my lifetime.

Sweetpea loves Michael Jackson. Last summer when he died, she listened to "Heal the World" on my sister-in-law's Ipod about 300 times. We let her watch part of This Is It, and now it's all Michael Jackson all the time around here. I'm sure I'll get sick of it sooner or later, but in the meantime I love her enthusiasm.

I'm not sure what a world without music and art (and literature) would look like, but I know I wouldn't want to live in it.





(Please support your local school district's efforts to keep their music and art programs alive.)

4 comments:

  1. That's practice!? I can't wait to see the real thing. Hey MJ has a song called Man in the Mirror doesn't he? Maybe Seetpea is channeling music and art at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, he does. And I was going to tie that into the post somehow before I fell asleep with my head on the keyboard and then pressed "publish" when I woke up without actually doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never really liked Picasso but love Sweetpea's version!

    Lianne
    ...speaking thusly

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails