Another in a series of photos of Sweetpea with a dirty face.
For some reason as I was pulling together the photos from our slapdash weekend road trip, I kept thinking of Forrest Gump. You know... life is a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get? Our weekend was definitely a mishmash of experiences.
We were so desperate for a change of scenery that we pretty much woke up and decided to hit the road without having a clear plan in place. Threw some clothes and a cooler of sandwiches in the car, called a cheap motel just to make sure we'd have a place to lay our heads and off we went.
Sweetpea is fascinated by mummies so we started with a stop at an Egyptian museum in San Jose, which was a little bit hokey but had some nifty antiquities (and yes, mummies) plus a re-creation of a pyramid tomb which was dark and spooky and kept Sweetpea occupied long enough so English hubby and I could actually read a few exhibit descriptions without interruption.
After a night at the motel, in a town south of San Jose with not much culture but charming in an outlet mall kind of way (and yes, we shopped), we got up at the crack of dawn and headed for the Pinnacles National Monument. It's an area maintained by the National Park Service and is definitely worth a visit. It's the site of an ancient (dormant) volcano with geologically-interesting rocks and caves and canyons galore to get lost in.
If we hadn't reached the Pinnacles, the drive alone was worth the journey.
Once we did arrive, we weren't disappointed. We weren't two minutes into our hike when Sweetpea found this little treasure, who completely ignored us on her way to somewhere more interesting.
There were caves to explore (flashlights necessary)....
... and I'm pretty sure the blank sign was intended to keep hikers out of that section of the cave but it of course didn't stop English hubby and Sweetpea.
And there were rocks to clamber over which looked fit for a lunar landscape.
Sated by fresh air and physical activity, we rewarded Sweetpea with a visit to a tiny amusement park on the way home, where she satisfied her own cultural desires with ice cream and mini roller coaster rides.
In the end, although we furrowed our brows over the slightly schizophrenic 36 hours we spent away from home, it was what we needed. Our minds and spirits (somewhat) refreshed, our legs satisfyingly sore, and with a renewed resolve to do it more often. With maybe a little more forethought.
I highly recommend it, although I can't guarantee you travelling companions as exceptional as mine.

(If you'd like to see a few more photos, then go ahead and have a peek here.)






looks like a fantastic trip -- my kind of adventures -- i love caves. my son lost a tooth in a boat on a river in a cave in new york -- how memorable is that? fun!
ReplyDeleteTHAT'S what I'm talking about!
ReplyDeleteLove it - not only your photos and the cool places you went, but that you did it at all. I am suddenly inspired to do something similar...hmmm...
That is awesome! I love it, sounds like so much fun. I should be braver about this kind of thing, but one of my travel companions is still a little young for road trips to be all that fun...
ReplyDeleteOh that seems like so much fun. I'm considering taking mine to the mountains in a few weekends. Just two days away. Maybe see some fall leaves. All that.
ReplyDeleteGlad you guys had fun. :)
Hey have you ever done the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose? Is so weird. but it's worth a trip once.
LOL. My word verification is trickbox.
@Issa - We've always meant to go but the timing hasn't worked out. Next time for sure (it probably would have been more fun than the Egyptian museum!).
ReplyDeleteBack when we lived in the Bay Area, and pre-kids, we used to meet up more-or-less annually with a fairly large group of friends and hike Pinnacles. Your pics really bring back memories! I'm glad you enjoyed the area as much as we did.
ReplyDeleteLovely cave pics, by the way, mine never turned out nearly that well.
If I saw that spider, I would not be in that cave. No way. No how. I am twitching just seeing it here.
ReplyDeleteBut the most important question of the day is... what the heck is LUCY doing up at 4:41am reading your blog???? hee hee hee
Lovely photos. xo to SP!
I'm sure that was a lovely post but since you put a picture of a TARANTULA in the middle of it - I'll never know.
ReplyDeletexo
I love road trips. Especially those with no set agenda so you can just explore at will
ReplyDeletePerfect.
ReplyDeletefreaked out by the spider...
ReplyDeletepleased you took the journey...
happy to sent some lovely photos for those of us workbound and housebound...
I too am scarred forever by the spider picture, but I do absolutely find you and your traveling companions exceptional.
ReplyDeleteWow your photos are amazing - I had to take a peek at the additional ones and am in LOVE with the one of sweetpea sitting in the chair in front of the picture of the sailboat... simply gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteThe spider? Hmmmm... not my favorite. But a beautiful picture of him or her (how would one know?) it is.
So glad you had a fun trip! Isn't getting away nice??
The Pinnacles is a place I always wanted to visit and we've never got around to so far. Your pictures made me want to go there even more. Have to talk to my exceptional companions about that.
ReplyDelete