Almost the end of September and the heat has finally hit. It will no doubt be short-lived so we gave in to its soporific effects over the weekend. I spent a good portion of Saturday in one of our hammocks with my book occasionally banging into my forehead, so lazy that I asked English hubby to bring me my camera because I couldn't be bothered to extricate myself.
Sweetpea occasionally popped her head out the door to ask me to come play a game to which I answered more than once "maybe in ten minutes". She finally gave up and climbed the tree from which I was swinging and sat 15 feet over my head, leaning against some ropes English hubby had rigged for comfort and chatting to me while I read the same paragraph again and again.
When I would occasionally grunt my way out of the hammock for cold drinks or sustenance, I would find English hubby standing in various locations since he would rather read in just the perfect light than sit in comfort.
Later, he pushed Sweetpea in the hammock where I used to nurse her to sleep as an infant, and she fell asleep for five minutes and woke up from a dream where her toes were nibbled by fish.
I thought the cold foggy summer had killed our first budding lemons, but it seems they too were sleeping and have started to grow again. I'm encouraging them to get to it because our north facing house will soon be in shadow for the winter and they won't have a hope. The tomatoes, a little droopy and sad, are looking cautiously hopeful at a second chance to grace a slice of buffalo mozzarella. Even our strawberry plant has decided to pop out its second crop of the season. I might be able to make a couple of tablespoons of freezer jam if the sun stays this side of the hill long enough.
Lemons as small (or big) as my thumbnail.
Hopeful tomatoes.
The next day we roused ourselves for a visit to the local art festival, held under the redwoods which was probably the coolest place in the county to be. We gave cursory attention to the art this year, and spent most of our time listening to live music, watching puppet shows, getting one of our faces painted, and sitting by the creek eating organic gelato.
Mesmerized and spooked by a marionette show.
For the first time in months, I was sad to say goodbye to Sunday. Summer, stay a little longer....
+ + + + + + + + + +
Join me in my morning-themed post at Mortal Muses today.





Wonderful post! You captured the essence of a perfect, long, lovely Sunday.
ReplyDeletelove the pic of the littlest lemon of all
ReplyDeleteGrow, lemon, grow!
and English Hubby in the light by the door -- perfect... I could hear the quiet.
glad you had a summer hurrah as we welcomed fall in Ontario.
As always, beautiful photos - love the ones with the purple hammock...it's almost like Sweetpea is standing in rays of lilac sunshine.
ReplyDeleteSounds like the PERFECT way to spend a weekend.
what a beautiful day
ReplyDeletewhat a great post. i almost felt like i was there swinging in the hammock myself.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a dreamy post. I found myself sighing in relaxation for you! What bliss!
ReplyDeleteLovely :)
weekend perfection and a bit of purple too! love the shots and that hubs will bring you your camera so you don't have to get up. awesome.
ReplyDeleteI love that he stands in the perfect sun, instead of sitting in a cozy chair. So cool.
ReplyDeleteLove this post.
ps. my word verification was lattes. Your blog knows me well. :)
Perfect day. We spent 8 hours on the boat. Pure bliss.
ReplyDeletei love the picture of your husband reading in 'the perfect light'. it's those details of life that are so entrancing to me.
ReplyDeleteSo sweet. Glad you had a wonderful day :)
ReplyDeleteIt sounds so dreamy and so much better than my weekend... Though we are finally getting some nice fall weather, temps in the 80s and night lows in the 60's--it feels SO nice!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a beautiful, lazy weekend - the ones that I prefer! The pictures are gorgeous. I enjoy your blog very much. Thanks for visiting me at Vision and Verb.
ReplyDeleteoh how i love your blog! i especially love the title...i love to mosey more than anything ;)
ReplyDeletegorgeous pictures. you almost didn't need the words. so, so talented!
ReplyDeleteSuch a wonderful image of English hubby reading in the perfect light.
ReplyDelete