www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Thursday, September 2, 2010

bright and dark


I struggle with self portraits.  Since I began my photographic journey last year I've attempted self portraits from time to time.  This usually takes the form of me holding my camera out in front of me, or setting it on a stool and trying to find some light to hide the worst.  I take at least 50 or 60 frames, download them onto my computer, and then delete them all with a pained expression on my face.

It's the usual - seeing myself on film is a shock.  I feel 30 on the inside but look (and am) 43 in reality.  The dark shadows, the crows feet, the lines from nose to mouth.  It hasn't been helped by Sweetpea's loving snuggles at bedtime as she pats the loosening skin on my neck and chest and says affectionately "You're growing granny skin."  But two weekends ago I was camping with friends and on looking at a photo of me with my dearest friend whom I've known since our early twenties, I found myself feeling quite tender toward myself.  I didn't have a lick of makeup on and every groove was highlighted in excruciating contrast.  And I thought hmmm.  I look pretty good.  Lived in, but not bad.

So I'm determined not to delete them all going forward.  And in an effort to honour this new found empathy for my exterior, I also want to embrace what's unique about me on the inside.  That the darkness that sometimes clouds my world is what makes me ME.  That I might not feel so grateful, or work so hard at being a better mother, if I didn't have that occasional darkness.

I'd love to see your own self-portraits if you feel brave.  Sit beside a window with natural light and think of what brings you joy or remember a person or time that evokes a feeling - melancholy, contentment, amusement.  Then click.  

Check out my inspiration for this post, the Beauty of Different blog and companion flickr pool from chookooloonks.  (Her book is on my birthday wishlist....)

21 comments:

  1. this is a beautiful photo. good for you for putting it out there! i am not brave enough to share mine yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i struggle with this myself but i have found, like you, that i am kinder to myself when i shoot a self-portrait and see my true self in a kinder light.

    kate at sweet:salty had a great post about this:

    http://www.sweetsalty.com/photoblog/2010/9/1/how-to-take-a-self-portrait-that-wont-make-you-gouge-your-ey.html

    i know i take myself way too seriously. i want one of those spontaneous people who makes dumb faces in photos and then shares them with everyone. someday.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly wonderful post, Kim. You know I love that photo but the words are wonderful.

    I am inspired to take some new pictures. Keep a look out! ♥t

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work, seriously. Thank you so much for sharing it (and your lovely shout-out!).

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your portrait looks wonderful! You ARE brave! I hope I look half as good as you at 43 :) I lack the confidence to post my own... Even though people have said I'm pretty, I have a low self-esteem and am worried what people would think if I posted a "good" picture of myself. That's a big problem for me is worrying too much about what people think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are GORGEOUS, and I love the photo - I love all your photos, actually, it seems... been browsing ye olde archives... I digress. Anyway you're gorgeous and I can say that cuz I have met you in REAL LIFE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're 43?!?

    (gorgeous, both you and the SP)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lovely photo. For the most part, I hate seeing photos of me, I think for the same reason I don't like to look in the mirror, and I have never taken a self-portrait. It's funny how deep down, or not so deep down, we all have so many fears and insecurities about our appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hopped over after seeing a post on Tammy B's page and I'm so glad I did. I'm feeling a bit inspired! Thanks so much for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just happened upon your blog and think your self portrait is beautiful. I've taken a few self portraits in recent months and I find them rather liberating. I used to worry what others might think, but I see so many beautiful people out there that are just like me...why should I keep hiding.

    Anyways, I'm glad I found you - now following. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice photo and post kim =) maybe i can try a self-portrait tomorrow, i used to do it a lot. but since i got hooked on taking other people's photos, i had never thought of taking one of myself anymore hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a fabulous photo!! Seriously beautiful. And I love how serene it is ... I can't believe you took it yourself. I have such trouble doing that... though, I'll admit that I'm no fan of posting lots of photos of myself either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this was a beautiful post...
    and a very lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the photo... and every time I've seen you, you've been beautiful in person, any light! :-) I showed the photo to the girls and they said, "she looks pretty nice" and "it reminds me of a zebra." I also like your new header photo - the foot. Goes with the title.

    I also dislike (intensely) photos of me, but find that sometimes K takes ones of me that I actually like. I like to think it is because she sees me with the eyes of love and that's what the photos reflect (crows feet, imperfections, and all!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post. Of course, I think you're gorgeous, but I KNOW that's not what this post is about because (if I didn't make this clear at blogHer) I hate photos of myself. Maybe I'll try a self portrait, you're inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you are beautiful. Stop deleting them all please. Love this phototube in fact.

    For years and years I hated how I looked in photos. For some reason this past year I keep thinking hmmm that ones not so bad. It's led to me even liking them some.

    I think we are trained to not think we look great. But whose definition of great are we trying to fit into?

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, love love this photo...you captured your own inner beauty in this one.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was sure this was a shot that you had pulled from archives -- you look very young -- college young...

    but on second look -- I do see the wisdom in your eyes.

    thanks for being brave enough to share this and all you share with all of us...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Simply lovely. This looks like a beauty shot from a mag!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful post, both the perspective of your text and your lovely image. Very thought provoking. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails