www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Friday, December 17, 2010

around the bend

around the bend

There have been times in this past year when I have longingly looked back to times when I felt healthy. More myself. And then looked forward to a time where the light at the end of the tunnel was a bit clearer.

That time is now. To be honest, I've gotten sick of the sound of my own complaining voice, both in real life and in written form on this blog. Even when I'm in a slump, I do always - or mostly - try to focus on my gratitude for the blessings in my life. Home, hubby, sweetest of peas, my family far away, the fact that no matter how many blood tests I submit to my dearly loved but very by-the-book doctor says there is no apparent problem. Other than my hormones raging out of control, my intolerable allergies, my depression and my complete lack of energy, that is. I'm not dying of a horrible disease, most days I function at a fairly significant level, I put on a good face to the people surrounding me. In fact, a dear friend I confided in recently said to me that she had no idea I had been suffering because I'm so good at hiding it. And also hate revealing weakness or asking for help. Yes. It's a problem.

But lately, I've been accepting help from all directions. Some of it I've sought out - a return to acupuncture and natural remedies, sessions with my therapist from long ago to address my fear of vulnerability and lack of control (I do so love my fingers on the controls at all times).  And that annoying emotion - guilt.  For not being a good friend, wife, and most of all, mother.  When English hubby's English Mum came to visit and offered her skill in reflexology, I promptly hopped on the sofa next to her and presented my feet.  If friends call and ask how I am, while I don't spill my guts, I try to avoid just saying "fine".

And yes, I'm starting to feel better.  There's still a ways to go, and I'm trying to not feel strange about placing the focus on me.  I recently read Beautiful Boy, the memoir by David Sheff about his son's ongoing struggles with drug addiction.  At one point, years into the heartbreak of watching his son spiral out of control and feeling depleted and out of control himself, a doctor asked David why he wasn't placing the same resources at his own disposal as he was for his son.  It's brow furrowing that we sometimes don't grant ourselves the same level of attention and help that we unthinkingly give to our loved ones.

So I am.  And I haven't waited for the resolutions of a New Year to put my intentions into action.

I wrote last year about enjoying the journey more than the destination in many situations.  Right now, I'm embracing both.

...I'm after the rainbow's end, waiting 'round the bend....

_______________________

Funnily enough, I'm musing today on the theme JOURNEY over at Mortal Muses. We're doing daily giveaways and blog hopping on the themes from now until New Year's.  A great way to focus on the spirit of the Holiday season, whatever it means to you...

9 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful reflection, full of wisdom. My Mom has always said that if you hope to help anyone else, you have to take care of yourself first or there will be nothing left. I look forward to your ongoing journey and admire/appreciate your beautiful shared reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to watching you grab the reigns....
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, having health issues is seriously the worst thing! It affects every aspect of your life. I'm glad it's nothing terrible like cancer or something, but it can still be debilitating just the same whatever your struggling with. I will pray for you and sincerely hope you continue to gradually feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One step at a time, dear mosey, and eventually the fog will clear. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to send you hugs and wish you lots of luck on your journey!

    The health care field...and this includes mental health...still has so much to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems your eyes are wide open and you are doing the best you can. I like that you are not waiting for the New Year to move forward with your plans. I know many good thoughts are being sent your way (including mine). Take care, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry you're struggling. Good for you for trying something different, in the form of acupuncture and reflexology. I find that nothing helps my migraines more than thinking outside the "med box" and doing some yoga. Thinking of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like you. so much. i read your words and see you sitting across from me at that wonderful table you have seeing the light from the backyard shine down on us. you write to me as though I'm listening to a great friend over tea. I love that you are honest and real. good for you for embracing who you truly are instead of putting on a face and smiling through a silent pain. we could all take a note on that. thanks for sharing your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mosey,
    I've been reading your blog for quite a while now, but I think this is the first time I've commented. Your blogs always seem like a breath of fresh air when I read them - so reflective & thoughtful, and really meaningful.

    This may sound cheesy, but at times like this I always think of the Beatles' song "Help." Read the lyrics: http://www.lyrics007.com/The%20Beatles%20Lyrics/Help!%20Lyrics.html (or listen to it on YouTube). Every one of us goes through times when we need help, and there's nothing wrong with that - it's life! So don't feel ashamed or wronged to ask for help sometimes.

    Still, I hope things start to look up for you soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails