www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Monday, January 31, 2011

why walk

... when you can leap instead?

city leap

It was a dull(ish) rainy(ish) weekend so we headed into the city to wander through antique shops (defined by Sweetpea as places where people's stuff goes "when they, you know, die"), poke around Chinatown, independent bookstores with ambiance and much wider choice in reading material than the big bookstore chains, and café's with burnt smelling coffee and strange side dishes that we couldn't identify but very friendly wait staff.

Being in the city, compared to our sleepy little neighbourhood, is on a completely different energy level.  English hubby lived in San Francisco when we were dating, but we've been quasi-suburban since we married ten years ago, and we've joked about feeling like the country mouse when we saunter down city sidewalks with people streaming by us in a blur of motion.  Sometimes I think I'd like to live in the city again, but it was unquestionably a relief to come back to our poky little street and have a nice cup of tea at the end of the day.

Are you a city mouse or a country mouse?

________________________

columbus tower

I took a lot of shots of interesting architecture while we wandered on Sunday, and have been playing around with adding textures to spice them up a bit, in honour of our texture theme on Mortal Muses this week.  It was a revelation how much a photo can be enhanced by slapping on a texture - you can create a completely different image with its own story to tell.  See my post on being the reluctant texture user here.

17 comments:

  1. Definitely a country mouse here. I do love the city, truely, I like to wander through museums, to shop untill my feet hurt, to look at all kinds of people all looking different. But moving to the village we live in was a clear choice for us when we had out little ones. This is where I want them to grow up, surrounded by nature, calm and peaceful. This is home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love visiting cities but I am happy outside the big metropolis.

    Have to say, Sweetpea has STYLE!

    (love your building photo!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love your photo of Sweetpea, it's full of city energy. I live in a quiet neighborhood in a small town, and my dream is to move to the city. Not the big bustling city scene, but a small quaint neighborhood with gorgeous old buildings and independent shops and food & drink establishments on the corners, and a farmer's market within walking distance. One day . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore that photo of her.

    I am a city girl living in the suburbs. Ha. There is much that I miss about living in a city. However, I'll admit there are things I don't miss at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pic!
    We were in the city two - sans children.
    I find it exciting, inspiring and had a feeling of wanting to eat it up in big gulps.
    Then we came back to the 'country.' I like it here too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. City mouse but slowly transitioning into a semi-country mouse!

    visit me soon and bring cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want both! The culture and energy of a city but the access of the trees when I need to connect to the earth. :) I haven't found the perfect spot for me yet.

    I love this pic of SweetPea - her clothing choices just echo the graffiti on the wall. Lots of energy in the image.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really a city person. I love the bustle and noise of it all. Your pictures made me miss San Francisco...I loved that part of town.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm an in-between mouse. =)

    your sister gave me your blog link the other day... i did not know you two were sisters! how cool!

    i just wanted to pass along a note i am sending to all the participants of p.w. who took the time to comment on my p.w. photos...

    "just wanted to stop and say hello... i'm going through all the profiles of those who commented on my picture winter photos, and looking to see if they have blogs or flickr accounts {and if not, then sending an e-mail}... so that i can A) say thank you for the comments and feedback you gave me, and B) let them know i would love to stay in touch... especially to those who expressed interest in keeping up to date on what is happening with my pregnancy. since i can not remember all who asked, i thought i would just go through each profile and send a message. =)

    i'll be updating my blog periodically with baby news... just in case you are interested:
    http://itsjusthowiseethings.blogspot.com/

    thanks again for all your comments on p.w.! it was an inspiration to meet you and see your work! i hope to see more of it even though the class is over."

    it was a pleasure to "meet" you and see your work. truly.

    all the best to you.

    xo
    ~georgia

    ReplyDelete
  10. city mouse here. i love that action shot of sweetpea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is such a cool leap photo! and i love her outfit and the wall it goes well kinda urban style. i'm definitely from the city, the country can be nice and peaceful though so i'd love that too =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am such a country mouse! But I love visiting the city and dream of moving to a small city in retirement... Love this sweet Sweetpea shot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. off subject, but your daughter has the most beautiful hair! clearly you give her highlights ;)P

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just LOVE San Fran. Had a wonderful New Year holiday there in 2010 and enjoyed taking shots of the sky scapes, and people, and food and everything else that moved or didn't! Enjoying your blog. Fab shots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this pic of Sweetpea! The line of the grafitti flows right into her arm, giving it a feeling of movement...

    (At least, that's what my non-photographer brain is telling me.)

    I'll gladly cop up to being a country mouse. Taking trips to Philadelphia and NYC serves to energize and excite me, but I'm always exhausted when they're over.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I grew up certain I'd always live in the City and have surprised myself by wanting less and less to do with it. (It might have something to do with being employed by the CCSF for 15 years and seeing the inner-workings/chaos of the place - too often disgusting!) But nature and simplicity call, too....

    When I traveled, I met so many people who spend their prime time in cities. In my experience, few cities are worth more than a day - give me a few museums/monuments/historic sites, then get me to the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  17. City mouse or country mouse? I love both and I just don't know if I will ever be able to decide.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails