I know how much he loves not only being the center of attention, but being featured on my blog. I mean, who can blame him when I inadvertently posted a picture of him a while back with his butt crack showing. Now don't go looking, I deleted it. (Yes, I did feel the force of you all madly scrolling backward through the archive. Busted.) Now you know why I generally allow him to maintain his comfortable low profile.
But it's his birthday and you know - I love the guy - so I'll share a few little details of why I still get a kick out of him after 12 and a half years together.
He's calm. So calm that on the rare occasion when we argue and he keeps a very even, reasonable tone, it makes me froth at the mouth. However, this same deadpan trait can also make me break into snorting laughter for hours after he's delivered a line.
Like the time I put a bright red lipstick through the laundry and sent him a crazed email about how nothing would get the lipstick stains out after scrubbing the ends off my fingers and putting the clothes through the wash three more times and he replied:
"Have you googled "shit, I've got lipstick fucking everywhere" ?"
(By the way, this actually worked as I discovered that dish soap does an admirable job.)
He's an encourager. Especially after we've headed out for a hike in the middle of nowhere (miles up a trail, and then OFF the trail even though he promised me we'd stay ON the trail), and the sweat is dripping down between my eyebrows and the exasperation on my face is rapidly turning to fury, he'll still be saying "almost there! It's just around the next corner!"
But then we'll in all likelihood end up in some location that is so utterly breathtakingly that I forgive him. Until the next time. But back in the real world, his encouragement and support are what have helped propel me to make leaps of faith and take on challenges that I might otherwise have waffled over ad nauseam.
Have I been ever so slightly facetious? Then let me give it to you straight. He is my best friend. We've been through some rocky times - who hasn't? - but his strength and spirit and that blasted calm of his have been key components in keeping me from flying completely off the handle and running for the hills when things are spiralling downwards fast. He can still crack me up and I still burst into spontaneous random chuckles for hours after some offhand comment that he didn't intend to be funny.
He's talented. He's like a dog with a bone when he is working on finishing a project (treehouse, endless house and garden projects, planning the perfect roadtrip). He thanks me every single time I do the laundry, and he makes me feel pretty even when I'm not feeling it. Although being English, if you ask him if you look fat, beware, because the standard response is "I've seen fatter."
And the way he's embraced being a Daddy, especially given his fears about being a parent right up until the very moment Sweetpea entered our world, make me realize pretty much everyday that I hooked a good one. Like when he dropped her off at daycare only to realize it was GREEN day (meaning, Sweetpea should have been wearing green. She wasn't.). So he called in late to work so he could dash madly down to the Gap and stand outside the door til they opened, picked out a green t-shirt that was not only the right size but was actually cute, and then rushed back to her daycare to deliver green shirt to delighted daughter.
He creates adventure even when he's tired and doesn't feel up to it.
And although he claims that he doesn't dance, the evidence is clear that one little person can make him let loose. And since I'll be letting him subside back into relative obscurity once his birthday is over, I'm sure he won't mind if I share this. If you come back later and it's gone you'll know he minded.
Happy Birthday, my Englishman.


WOW! -- wish I had someone paying tribute to me like that --- so heartfelt and funny -- LOL on the "I've seen fatter" comment.
ReplyDeleteLOVED the dancing piece -- kind of a Grey's Anatomy moment --- we all need to dance it out....
...speaking of which -- the Englishman has a shadowy profile that made me think of one of my hollywood husbands, Patrick Dempsey -- well done.
Happy B-Day, Englishman from someone who celebrated birthdays with your nieces yesterday.
amd
Sweet tribute. My husband's b-day is tomorrow (27th). The calm and the encouragment must be characteristic Taurus ;-). I love the response to "Do I look fat--that is hilarious! And the video is so cute, I am glad I saw it in case he makes you take it down.
ReplyDeleteHi Kim, that was so amazingly heartwarming about my so humble and so special son that it really touched me!
ReplyDeleteI am so grateful that you have found each other and that you appreciate him as we should all be appreciated, including you for all the support and care and love I have seen you give him over the years!
much love Lori
you are the most amazing uncle and we hope you have the most amazing birthday too! you are the coolest uncle and we really wish that we were with you, happy birthday uncle Damion! we hope you have an awesome day and that you are happy all day! we miss you sooooooo much and we hope that you have the bestest birthday ever! Cassidy says we hope that you got lots of surprises!
ReplyDeletelove Bryanna & Cassidy.
P.S we love you!
That was so sweet and romantic. I have a tear in my eye! I think your englishman and my scotsman learned to dance at the same place!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Englishman!
I guess all this means I won't be getting a jet-ski. Thanks for all the birthday wishes, and for dragging me out into the blogosphere. God bless wives, mums, taureans, scotsmen and all those years of having to dance to James Brown when you didn't really feel that funky in the first place.
ReplyDeletex englishman.
Awwww.
ReplyDelete