The whole crew is home today, English hubby included. I swallowed down my (selfish) consternation at yet again having my work day disrupted, but given that both hubby and I managed to have naps - in the daytime! - I can't call the day a total loss.
Sweetpea started off the day prone on the couch with her little talismans beside her. I'm not sure where or when this idea came from, but she likes having little objects near by to help her feel better or sleep well. Her Daddy's crystal is a new favourite beside the bed, and the little zigzaggy square is from her teacher at school - apparently a "good wishes square" or somesuch.
Feeling better and more energetic by 11 a.m. and obviously realizing that her parents were next to useless, she embarked on her own self-initiated projects for the rest of the day. She worked on a few drawings, played the piano, tinkered with Lego, and continued to teach herself to read.
This is what has been making me shake my head in wonderment lately. I've heard how some kids just spontaneously learn to read, and although I'm not certain if that's what is going on here, I'm trying to stay out of the way and let what happens happen. She's had a love affair with books since we started reading to her at four months old, and went through those nutty memory phases where she could recite an entire book, word-for-word, after hearing it once or twice. When we go to the library, we frequently take out at least 25 books. She's known how to print the alphabet and spell simple words for ages, but just recently seems to be putting all the pieces together.
I remember commenting to someone while I was pregnant that I felt a little like a science experiment, and that feeling has continued from the time she was born. I've heard some parents say (or write) that they wish they could freeze their kids at a particular moment in time and keep them at that age permanently.
Me, I can't wait to see what she does next.

Swine flu?
ReplyDeleteI knew your addiction to bacon would lead to trouble :0)