www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Overcoming Inertia

Back in my animating days, one of the issues facing me and my fellow animators was the principle of overcoming inertia. Meaning simply the motion required to start an action - having a character go from a stationary position into full-on movement. It's surprisingly difficult, and one of the tasks I confronted with frustration every time I had to do it.


This girl has NO problem overcoming inertia.

I have that same problem getting going in real life on occasion. If you Google the phrase, you'll find all sorts of search results from life coaches and self-help gurus guaranteed to help you get over it.

Procrastination (my middle name), fear of failure, not having a clear path forward - all these things stymie me on a daily basis. Today I was re-working a video project - one for which I have great enthusiasm, so it's not or shouldn't feel like a chore. But I spent almost four hours pacing up and down the hall, drinking coffee and ultimately eating almost an entire bag of Pirate Booty because I just... couldn't... get... started.

When I finally DO get started, and things flow just as they should, I mentally (and sometimes physically) whack myself in the forehead for my stupidity. I cheerlead my friends all the time when they're facing challenges, and counsel them in how you just need to find a tool to help get rolling on whatever is stalling you. But of course, I always forget my very good advice when it comes to my own life. Easier said than done.

I've said it before, but working for yourself is hard. Working for a studio is hard too, but at least there is immediate support the next desk over. On the worst days, I consider going back to studio work full-time, which would not only sacrifice the precious time I get to spend with Sweetpea (even challenging as THAT can be sometimes), but would sabotage all the work I've done in reinventing my career so I can work from home.

But I need to find myself some new tools obviously. Self punishment never works (for me), beating myself up about it is pointless, desperation and frustration both turn to procrastination (all those -ations!). Mantras work, a walk around the block works, making a list of goals to achieve works, a shout out to the universe definitely works.

Now I just need to remember to use them. What do you do to get yourself over the humps?



Just to show that I'm not the only frustrated person around here, as I was driving Sweetpea home from daycare today, she was vainly trying to tell me something but unable to get the words out. She finally exploded out with "Oh, my brain is so mad at my body!"


I hear you, sweets.

2 comments:

  1. Reading blogs seems to be my procrastination exercise. Hmmmm, maybe I should go get some work done now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes. I should be packing up my house right now. Instead I watched Wife Swap and am now looking at blogs. I could use a good ol' Wile E. Coyote wind-up right now.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails