www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Monday, June 22, 2009

Marvellous Monday Giveaway

Through my lovely friend Debra, with whom I've worked on some fun little editing projects, I was lucky enough to meet the subject of today's giveaway.

Deb told me about Sarah Oliver, who is an inspiringly talented artisan who creates unique and fabulous hand-crafted handbags. She uses a centuries old technique of knitting and then felting wool, which results in a tightly woven beautiful and durable fabric. Every bag is unique, and Sarah shops for vintage pins to give them even more pizzazz.

Sarah's knitters are a group of wonderful women from a senior's residence in her town, and Deb proposed that we might create a short video about their story.

Have a look at the results:


Could those ladies be any sweeter? And even after we kept pushing our cameras in their faces and interrupting their Thursday knitting group, they offered to teach both Deb and me to knit. An offer that I'm soon to take them up on. I finally got some yarn and needles last week and this summer I'm determined to learn.

I'm lucky enough to own one of Sarah's bags and I love it so much I want to marry it.

And the one that I have for YOU is so loved by Sweetpea that I'm going to have to sneak it out of the house without her knowing it, as she has claimed it as her own. She has good taste, I mean look at it:



How fabulous is that? And if you have a favourite pin or a vintage brooch belonging to your Great-Aunt Maude, you can simply swap it and have a whole new look.

Love it? Want it? Leave a comment by 8 p.m. PST Tuesday. The winner will be randomly chosen and announced first thing Wednesday.



Check out Sarah's website to see the variety of colour and style she has created. It is being re-launched today (maybe as we speak!) with a whole new look, so check back later if you can't get on it the first time around.

13 comments:

  1. Oh I know I am up against stiff competition here considering some of bag-fanatic friends, but I LOVE giveaways and have never won one yet (sniff sniff) and as I will NEVER be learning to knitt, I think I really really deserve the real deal. Also, my niece can visit the bag whnever she wants!

    Lianne
    P.S. Can we see a photo of the bag you want to marry? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I hope I don't get penalized for typos...I was in such a rush to enter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Lianne, she always beats me to the comments!

    Cute bags and great job on the video, it made me tear up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hoping Lianne's comments only count as ONE entry.

    I love the handiwork --

    I admire those who craft for a living --

    I did learn to knit as a brownie -- for a badge I think)-- did the Barbie doll clothes in the 70s and my mom taught me to knit mittens -- on four needles -- how happy was I to see the circular needles in the 80s when everyone was doing those fair isle/icelandic sweaters while in uni ( I think everyone in my family got one at Christmas) and then even did some knitting for the neices --- and before Julia when there was more time to craft -- even did some work with felting

    -- but never thought of a purse...

    great idea! would love to carry it at the same time I carry my green one -- which I too want to marry -- actually had an affair and honeymoon with it in Chicago.

    ps verifcation word is spining - how craft -- I'm destined to win now.

    amd

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, anyone that knows me knows that I am a purse, horse! I love the bag it is so cute and the workmanship is amazing. I would love to own one of those special bags to tote around the lovely Niagara-on-the-Lake!

    Thanks,
    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ps If my sister wins (that is Alison) we will have a knockdown full out fist fight over the bag!
    Shauna
    PS I have many Vera Bradley bags and am always having affairs with them, forget the marriage!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want. I need to have. And it is great to see some of the video you guys did. Great job. I'm going to get some needles too. Then we can have our own Thursday knitting circle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that is cute--I love the handles... and I am not even much of a handbag person. I won your first giveaway... is it selfish to want to win this one too?

    It looks like the winner will have to pry it out of Sweetpea's little hands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the color of that bag! My 4 year old son said he liked the monkey on it! :)

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. include me too! love it! oh, can i be included on your thu. knitting circle too, been wanting to learn for years. i'm just so needy, please include me. : )

    great video by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. fantastic kim!! congrats on completing the video - the ladies are adorable. not sure why but the one who talks about knitting for jam reminds me of a little old lady version of karen (hope karen doesn't take this the wrong way!)

    love the bag and the monkey!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've worked with a lot of Redwood Residents - it's a great place. I love your little film - very sweet and inspiring. Maybe I'll finish knitting the one year old's hat before she's two....
    Looking forward to perusing Sue's site....

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet video, Kim. I teared up a little, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails