I was going to write, in my usual offhand sarcastic style, about the exciting life I lead on Mondays when Sweetpea and I often stay home, do laundry, and generally putter around. The life of a stay at home mother.
Which for some reason reminded me of Ma Ingalls' chore list from Little House in The Big Woods...
"Wash on Monday,
Iron on Tuesday,
Mend on Wednesday,
Churn on Thursday,
Clean on Friday,
Bake on Saturday,
Rest on Sunday."
...although I can't remember the last time I ironed or churned. Even the last time I vacuumed is a distant memory.
I'm fortunate that I have a daughter who is independent and imaginative and has no problem playing on her own for hours at a time. Although if there is a party going on, she wants to be right in the middle of it unlike her somewhat antisocial parents. So today when she asked me to take part in some role-playing game after she tired of playing on her own, I had to fight the tendency to whine I really don't want to play. She didn't take no for an answer and so we acted out the entirety of the two Gruffalo books by Julia Donaldson. I must tell you, it was quite taxing, as I had to balance multiple characters all of whom had their own caves and underground lairs to slither or skulk in and out of.
But I realized about halfway through the day, as I was folding the third load of laundry, that the days just hanging with Sweetpea are numbered. She starts kindergarten in a couple of months and will be a big kid going to school everyday. No more lazy mornings in our jammies with no set plans, it'll be packed lunches every day, get up get dressed get off to school.
I always consider myself a forward looking person. I work at enjoying the moment I'm in (mostly) and don't dwell (much) about what has already passed by. But at the same time, half my conversations begin with "Remember when...." and I have a feeling that these sweet slow days will be ones whose passing I'll mourn.



I love your blog! You are a great writer and I enjoyed a lot of your posts. Angie is an amazing writer too. I think the world of her and I've never even met her. She is my husbands cousin. Your sweetpea is darling too. She reminds me of me growing up. I love Mary Poppins!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the advice on the cameras. It's very much appreciated. I wish I could afford the 5D, but sadly it's not in the budget. I'm not done reading reviews and comparing but I'm leaning towards the rebel T1i that does video as well as photos. I believe it's around 900 or 1000. I want to get a lens I saw the other day too that's a telephoto and macro in one. It seemed great and was fun to play with as I've never touched a DSLR until yesterday.
Good luck on your purchase this summer too. I'm curious to see what you end up with as well. Thanks again:)
I personally both love and hate my children growing up.
ReplyDeleteI want to hug and stiffle them while making them free and able to do things for themselves.
Sometimes, being a parent is QUITE heartbreaking.
Love the smiley face picture - mind you, I never feel like that on laundry day and I HATE folding.
ReplyDeleteRe the kids, I definitely feel time slipping away. I was so delighted 2 weeks ago when Bryanna asked if I would start reading with her at bed-time again (as that stopped about a year ago). We are working our way through the Narnia books (just finished The Magician's Nephew which she loved)and she asked if we can start the next one together right away. Hurray!
Lianne