www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Monday, July 20, 2009

Far from home, yet happy

Still working on the London photos - I had to wait for English hubby to process some from his 5D so I could give a somewhat well-rounded wrap-up.

In the meantime I grabbed this one, which was the day after we returned from Italy. It may seem a bit self-serving (and self-centered!) to post a picture of myself, but this one seemed to evoke all the best feelings of travel and vacation that I love. We had just walked across the "wobbly" bridge in London after strolling along the Thames from Waterloo Station. We were heading to St. Paul's Cathedral (one of the locations from Mary Poppins that we thought Sweetpea would like to see), and were hoping to meet up with some friends there. It was sunny, we were relaxed, and bonus - I had a latté in my hand. We were having a sweet day, in the anticipation of more.

I want to be walking right there right now.



Frances Mayes talked in Bella Tuscany about something she called "travellers' melancholy" and it has always struck a chord with me. For her, it was the sudden realization that even in the midst of an amazing experience in a new and wonderful location, one can sometimes feel lonely or cut loose from the familiar, and far from the people who love you most. It's something that happens to me at least once during every trip I take.

On the day above, I didn't have it.

10 comments:

  1. I so understand traveler's melancholy. Happens to me on every trip too, and it always takes me by surprise. Maybe having a name for it will help. Oh, and tell me, how did you deal with getting a cold during a trip to Italy? I think I would have had a really hard time dealing with that gracefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love this shot. You look so happy and so relaxed. (And beautiful, but that goes without saying)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOC - one of the side benefits of traveling anywhere with extended family is that there is built-in support. Hubby and my in-laws traded off looking after my daughter, we were settled in one location by then and I was able to recuperate in peace. Plus my stepdad-in-law is a doctor so he kept taking my pulse to make sure I didn't have swine flu. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great picture and not self-serving or self-centered at all. I looked for that book the other day and didn't find it, but I liked her other book and seeing your pics of Italy made me want to read it (and brush up on my surely forgotten Italian). I've had that melancholy too, I like her term. Looking forward to more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a very Mary-Tyler-Moore shot -- just need a jaunty cap to throw in the air.

    this is a woman who has the world by a string.

    lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How could one not feel like a million bucks while in Italy? You look wonderful!

    I changed the address of my blog to:

    leslierogers.blogspot.com

    if you wish to update the bookmark. :)

    I loved going through your trip photos. Italy is my favourite place to visit. I am looking forward to taking my hubby there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, you look VERY happy! Amazing what a vacation can do for us, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply fabulous!
    But we already know that.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails