www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

La Dolce Vita


Sweetpea cools off in her fort, while English hubby peruses a book in the grass, ignoring all available comfortable seating.

Since the rain and lightning strikes at the weekend, it has turned hot. The door-slamming breezes keep things comfortable. The ciccadas, which at home hum and buzz in the heat, here seem to shout indignantly at top volume from the trees all around the house.

I'm struggling with a cold today, but with no agenda have been able to move from bed to couch to lounge chair with a book. I've been reading A Year in the World, which is a perfect book to be immersed in while away from home. But I find it somehow disconcerting that Frances Mayes writes as "we" more than "I", compared to her earlier books before she re-married.
The pace of life here allows for recovery - eat and drink when you like.



Me, recuperating.

Food is simplicity. In the mornings, people drift into the kitchen one by one, fixing themselves bowls of cereal or a plate of Italian bread with bracing coffee (me) or tea (my English in-laws).


Sweetpea and English daddy breaking their fast.

Lunch can be a hunk of bread with a slice of mozzarella and drizzled with olive oil grown from the olive trees right here on the property, or maybe spread with ricotta, and some cherries. Dinners have mostly been prepared by my sister-in-law, with the rest of us acting as sous-chef. Pasta with bursting-with-flavour tomatoes, grilled peppers and egglant, mushroom risotto topped with fresh chopped parsley and thyme from the edge of the loggia outside the kitchen. It makes me feel the slightest bit homesick for my garden at home, overgrown without me to keep it pruned. We've only had one meal out, which was without much to distinguish it, but tonight we're heading to somewhere hopefully more memorable in a local town.

We've spent our days thus far swimming in the morning before it gets too hot, and then heading out to explore and look at houses with my mother-in-law and her significant other. The houses range from completely restored, to total ruins with pig stalls and rusted farm equipment on the ground floor from long ago days when they were still farmhouses with the farmer's family living upstairs.


My MIL and R, with Kevin the agent, whose gesticulating arm out the car window ahead of us kept us entertained.

After afternoons picking our way through long grass with nettles and keeping our eyes out for snakes, we generally stop in whatever ancient hill town is closest to taste their gelato, take in the view, and find a shady spot in their parks where Sweetpea tries all the climbing structures and makes us go on the huge log see-saws with her. It's surprisingly good exercise for the thighs, I've discovered.


The view from San Ginesio.


Auntie C follows the bossy instructions of her niece.


Sweetpea makes friends with her tenth kitten of the day.



And then back to our peaceful home away from home to fold the laundry, have a glass of wine, and prepare the evening meal.


The laundry, bleaching in the sun, to be folded later with the scent of the lavender growing beneath the laundry lines.

12 comments:

  1. I'm in heaven - love the food details and lovely pics.

    So sorry you've had the travel cold thing (I hate that), but glad you have had time to recover. Is it nicely cool inside the house? And how fun to house hunt in Italy!!!

    Thanks for the update when you're not feeling well...love to read about it all!

    L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your descriptions are so vivid - I could almost be there!
    It just looks glrious.
    Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dolce indeed! It sounds lovely. and hanging clothes to dry never looked so tempting. I always get sick when I travel too. Feel better and drink a glass of wine for the rest of us. The pics are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao, Bella -- can you say that as hello as well as goodbye over there where you are in the land of many flavours??

    Level 4+ travel loq writing ---sophisticated use of detail and diction --strong narrative voice --

    I'm wearing my English teacher's hat now that I am back at school doing my IB learning -- it's making my brain ache. There is a teacher in my group who is from Italy -- she's freezing over her with this crazy weather.

    Can't wait for your next installment.

    verificatio word today is "screen" -- it's the first time I've ever had a "real" word spelt correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, I thoroughly enjoy your writing. Everything there seems like a dream. I can almost imagine myself there with your descriptions. What an amazing, beautiful place. I hope you get feeling better soon so you can enjoy it more fully :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a wonderful adventure! I'm a friend of Lianne's through Children's Bridge, and have been lurking on your blog for a while - I love the way both you and Lianne write! Anyways - I promised Lianne I would leave a comment this time. I told her your trip reminds me of a book I read a long time ago called, "Under the Tuscan Sun". Enjoy, and I hope you feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna, the book I referenced (a year in the world) is by the same author as Under The Tuscan Sun. Her second book about her house in Cortona is even better than the first (called Bella Tuscany).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lianne, it's lovely and cool inside the house - thick stone walls! AM, you can say ciao for hello and goodbye here, but the older folks don't like it - they prefer the more formal greeting. But Sweetpea already says it like a native, multi-syllable, "chee-owww" with a wave of the hand. All the men love her and always respond very sweetly....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, sounds so beautiful and brings back lovely memories. Your writing brings it to life! We just spent 3 days at disneyland and a day at legoland. Not quite as idylic. We squeezing in a couple of days at the beach.

    Looking forward to hearing and reading more about the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved your photo essay, especially since I just got back from Italy a few days ago. :) Bella Italia!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am getting caught up on the photo essays - thanks for posting this! What a lovely essay, I could feel myself relaxing into your day with you. And cute that your daughter befriends every little cat - my son does too!

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails