www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween Scrooge

I'm not entirely sure why I feel scrooge-like at Halloween - I've certainly enjoyed my share of crazy Halloween parties over the years, and this photo in particular seems to suggest that I enjoyed it as a child.


I don't make costumes and observe the hand-made efforts of my friends with admiration and occasionally consternation. Sweetpea's Po costume at age one and two was a hand-me-down from her cousins (and in fact at age one it was a photo op only). I ordered the ladybug and Jessie costume off the internet, and last year she chose to wear a fairy costume she already owned which made me exceedingly happy.



Why I became such a grumpy poohead about it all, I'm just not certain. And the type of self-analysis required to answer the question is beyond my capabilities (and interest level) on a Friday night. However, having a child who counts down the days til Halloween arrives has made me attempt to be a good sport and I've even started dressing up again in recent years.

It's why I let Sweetpea hang out in the costume store for half an hour after school today because she gets a kick out of looking at the evil clowns and spooky ghouls...



...and why we then went and got art supplies to make some decorations...



..and why even though I seem to be rapidly deteriorating as I write this with some dreadful bone-aching, throat-stabbing disease (I will not get the flu, I will not get the flu), we'll be carving our pumpkins tomorrow morning and getting decked out to trick or treat.

Happy Halloween!

3 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, I don't amke costumes either, sheesh, I can barely get myself to the consignment store to buy one for the kids. And I don't dress up... ever, haven't since college, years ago. If my kids ever ask me to, I'll consider it, but until then... entirely too much effort. We didn't get to the pumpkin patch this year, but we did finally carve a pumpkin, and I rarely decorate. I love the jack-o-lanterns on the window though--sweetpea looks so proud of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looked like such fun Sweetpea looks so happy at the window with her decorations. I too had MacLean make a hippy costume and we bought a shirt, beads and a belt at good will this year and it was great . I too will post after the event tonight. It is cool, rainy and yucky here in the Niagara region. Hoping it won't rain. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no - DO NOT GET THE FLU!
    (that's a wish not an order - well maybe it's both)
    The pumpkin art is fabulous even if it was reluctant!
    I realize I have no idea what sweetpea is this year - photos please.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails