And last evening as I sat with a bowl of snacks and a cocktail prepared by my Dad, all of us chatting and relaxed in the living room, it came up for me again. When my parents are visiting, I automatically let go of some of the tasks (the LIST!) that I'm normally trying to work my way through. I let work projects slide unless there is an immediate deadline and just focus on enjoying my time with them. I make the time to cook nice meals with my Mum, we head into town to get a treat with Sweetpea after school, we talk and go shopping and just enjoy the moment.
But on a daily basis, with no visitors, I'm always trying to attain that balance. Doing it all. Having it all - motherhood, a career, exercise, maintaining friendships, making sure that English hubby and I are getting quality time together (which is often last on the list).
And then I read this post on anymommy today, and it reminded me yet again. We AREN'T superheros. We may try to be, but many times we're doomed to disappointment because it just isn't possible to be all things at all times.
So I thought I'd share a short documentary that I edited a couple of years ago that asks Woman-On-The-Street style "What Do Women Want?". Some colleagues and I created it for a film festival competition for fun - the mission to shoot and edit a film in two days (a weekend) to be screened on the Monday evening. Some of the answers we got were funny or off-the-cuff, but many were thoughtful. And the woman who stumbles trying to articulate that women CAN have it all, but just not all at the same time hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Let's all take a deep breath and go easy on ourselves, shall we?
Doing our best on a daily basis is good enough.
Doing our best on a daily basis is good enough.
Ay-ay-ay! Great post. That is the eternal struggle. Especially when you do want it all, all at once. (I still have to watch the video). I love anymommy, her post is so true--something has to give.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you get to enjoy these moments with your parents when you don't have to think about the list. Lists are exhuasting.
That's lovely! I like the one "to be got and to get other people" that is big for me, I love feeling connection (even though my word verification is singl)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post! I loved it! It's fun to see what other woman want.
ReplyDeleteI make lists, only to complete them over a matter of days or weeks. Or sometimes not at all.
I do want it all though. I have just about everything, but I'm trying to work on friendships the most right now.
Excellent post! I like the video, and the responses you received. That looked like it was a lot of fun to be a part of.
ReplyDelete