www.flickr.com
mosey|kim's items Go to mosey|kim's photostream

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

there was a child went forth

In seven days my baby will be done with kindergarten.
She reads, she writes.
Although because she writes phonetically, I often require her translating services when reading her stories.
She still automatically takes my hand when we are walking together or crossing the street, but will drop it if she remembers her desire to flex her independence.
She prefers school to being at home.
But can easily spend hours immersed in drawing or creating new worlds in the living room.
She is fascinated by bugs, science, the environment, books, and art.
Although she no longer wants to be an astronaut, she now wants to be a teacher or firefighter or someone "who helps people".
When she was two she wanted to be "a man who plays the guitar", but now informs us this is impossible except for a very few species who can change from female to male.
She prefers friends "who make good choices" (yes, she really said that).
She still believes in fairies although I may have shaken her confidence in the tooth fairy after forgetting to exchange a tooth for coins a few months ago.
She feels sad that she hasn't seen a real unicorn or experienced "real" magic yet, but is hopeful.
She alternates between wanting my help, and then doing something like closing the door I've just opened and opening it again herself.
She talks incessantly, which is obviously a throwback to a previous generation because it is an impulse completely foreign to me and English hubby.
She is endlessly distracted, and can spend half an hour in the bathroom talking to herself in the mirror and creating a whole world of make believe when she should be brushing her teeth.
She cries out in frustration when reminded to make her bed, but when asked to help with a chore occasionally says "Of course I will! Why wouldn't I?"
She frequently stuns me momentarily silent with her insights.
She is growing up so quickly that for the first time in her life I feel the need to turn back the clock and just have it all slow.... down..... so I can catch my breath and savor each moment.


A triptych of visits to the zoo over the years, the last with English Daddy this past weekend.
(click to see larger)


Title refers to "There Was A Child Went Forth" by Walt Whitman

7 comments:

  1. What an absolutely beautiful post.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful description. I love how you capture her essence and the photo set is so sweet--they do grow up! I am never sure whether I am hoping for it or if I will never feel ready for it.

    Ready for summer?

    allergies gone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures... they slay me. I am officially dead. I'm not sure how you keep from cuddling her all the live long day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm lovin' your blog. i especially like the photo of the water glass in sunshine, and eyelashes to die for, and hello, coffee, and the white spider and calla lily. i guess i i love them all. i won't soon forget the eloquence of your post about your daughter. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved the tribute and the heartfelt thoughts.

    and the allusion to the poem ...

    another one on the the pain of a parent watching and child grow up -- check out "Song for Naomi"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your words...so perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Happy you're here ... please say hello.

Related Posts with Thumbnails